Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Repairing flaperons

Default Repairing flaperons

I have a damaged flaperons caused by the hinge. They were laid flat and a couple areas has skin damage. How do you repair it? Drill stop? Can you cover them with fabric and put a patch on with pop rivets?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Repairing flaperons

Hi Gizmos,

This is a typical repair that is explained in the FAA's Advisory Circular 43.131b Chapter 4, page 4-26.

If you are not familiar with this AC - it is a large document, laid out in chapters that you can find on the FAA's website and you can download as much of it as you want - the entire AC covers just about any kind of repair/modification you can imagine. An excellent document for builders in the first place.

If I did this right - this should be the correct link for your specific repair, but you can drill down from the main FAA website to the Advisory circulars then search for 43.13 1B and find chapter 4

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...E?OpenDocument

The cut to the chase is if you have a sharp end to the cut it should be stop drilled, then a patch panel can be riveted over the top of the area. Extra strength if you hysol the patch when it is riveted.

I'd stay away from fabric covering of the aluminum flaperon as a repair - the fabric won't be much of a structural repair for aluminum.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Thanks Dave for the fast response. I got this kit from another builder, this was the only damage, the photo shows the worse. The other two places are only dented. Any other tips on the flaperons installation I should know? Stripping the protective coating was easy with paint stripper and a sharp plastic putty knife, I used several because they get dull. I found it was best to start pulling the coating off as soon it starts to get loose. If not, the stripper will break down the plastic and you have hundreds of pieces . I got lucky, two sides came off in one sheet. This kit was started in 1994. Thanks again

From the photo it looks like you have damage around the hinge slot and the trailing edge.

Amateur built aircraft often use practices and standards set by certified aircraft ias a good example. With that said, be aware that many certified aircraft do not allow patches on aluminum skinned flight controls. Many of them require a re-skin or entire control replacement. However, we have the option with amateur built aircraft to do anything we want within reason.

So if you wish to proceed with a repair, press on. I would cut out the damaged area using nibblers and dress the edges smooth with a file. You may need to cut new foam for internal support. Fabricate and contour a suitable patch from aluminum. Bond with Hysol and rivet in place with pulled rivets.

Short of that you would be looking at ordering a new flaperon.

John

On some of the original speedster kits in the instructions the builder was actually told to completely sever the flaperon skins ALL the way around at each hinge location. You can see a 1/4 inch gap in the picture and I am drilling rivet holes for a clip to provide continuity at the trailing edge. Supposedly this was to allow the flaperons to flex a little. You were then told to cover over the slot with fabric. After doing this I found out that the need to do this was deemed unnecessary and I devised a way to cover it all up using .016 aluminum and pull rivets. Wish I hadn't cut them in the first place.

Anyways... my point is I would hardly worry about this as a big issue and would just create a simple patch. You could probably just stop drill, use hysol to fill, and sand it all smooth to where it's completely hidden.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 03-17-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Would it be wise to pop an U shape aluminium stopper 1/8 thick at the top of each slots, when we put together the flaperons to prevent dommage? Dose this kind of dommage often occur?
    • File Type: jpg u.jpg (4.5 KB, 535 views)
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

Damage like shown in the photos usually happens when either the flapperons are off the aircraft or the push/pull control tubes have been disconnected for wing folding.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I had in mind that we do not need to disconnect the control horn to fold the wings of a SS-7, do I make things up?
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

Yes you need to disconnect the linkage to the flapperon control horn to fold the wing.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Merci Dorsal!!

I was thinking on the older model like the KF 2,3,4,5 we have to disconect the flaperons, it's not a big deal to disconect them anyway!!!
    thanks for the info!!!
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.