Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: windshield problem

Default windshield problem

I was using "simple green" to clean the bugs off my prop and the wind was blowing. Some of the simple green sprayed on the windshield and I didn't notice it. Now, I have a speckled winshield and cann't remove them.

Any suggestions????

Thanks,

Louie

Default Re: windshield problem

I know it's not helpful for your windshield now, but I just use Lemon Pledge for both the prop and windshield. It seems to do an acceptable job with the bugs.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Don't know if this will help your problem, but I use mineral spirits to clean the windshield on my SS. It is also possible to use kerosene, just use a soft cloth to avoid scratches. Removes bugs, dirt, light paint overspray, etc.

Dick B

If your windshield is Plexiglas then there is a chance you can buff it out. Try a small spot with one of the usual buffing compounds to see if it will clear up your problem. If the windshield is polycarbonate you have a bigger problem as it is very difficult to buff out polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is a bit softer and it has a tendency to gum up when you try to buff it out. It's harder to do, but not impossible. You may have to experiment with different buffing compounds. Be patient and keep at it.

If the small test is succcessful, go for a larger area. Rub only up and down, not in circles. Circles create swirl marks.or halos. I generally do not recommend using a power buffer as it is too easy to slip and make the problem worse. If you must use a power buffer, use a NEW pad.

Thanks for the heads up on a product to avoid using on airplanes. Sorry to hear it spotted your windshield.

JP
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 03-16-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: change Acrylic to polycarbonate.