Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 Carb Cross-Over tube

Default 912 Carb Cross-Over tube

I was looking at my carb cross-over tube and found the attach points on the Bing carbs are a little larger than the metal cross-over equalization tube. On each end of the metal cross-over tube is a short (2" approx) length of rubber hose which is clamped on the metal cross-over tube and to the carb attach points. This rubber hose has been really stretched to fit over the carb attach points, and I got to thinking, "Is there a reason the metal cross-over tube is smaller than the carb attach points, and does that cross-over tube really need to be metal?" So, does it need to be this way, or can I just get a rubber hose long enough to go from one carb to the other, deleting the metal tubing?
    Last edited by SkySteve; 03-10-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: 912 Carb Cross-Over tube

I don't know what Rotax would say but years ago on my model 3 I had a spot wear through my aluminum crossover tube. I replaced it with some good quality hose at the time and flew it for several hundred hours that way. It ran just fine and never complained. Hope I didn't mess up.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: 912 Carb Cross-Over tube

Nope. DF4, you didn't mess up. I love it if/when someone agrees! Makes me feel smart. . In fact, I think I will wrap the new tubing in heat reflective aluminum tape.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos