Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IvoProp IFA - constant speed governor

Default IvoProp IFA - constant speed governor

Anyone on the list have experience (good or bad) with the Ivoprop constant speed governor?

sacha

Default Re: IvoProp IFA - constant speed governor

I have one that I installed about 4 months ago. We have never gotten it totally calibrated. It will fluctuate as I fly along. I'll be running about 5300 rpms then it'll go down to 5100 then up to 5800 for a moment then stabilize again at 5300. Tried everything IVO suggested and still can't get it right. I've tried to get someone from the factory to walk me through the setup again while on the ground running....no luck. Frustrated!
    DAT
    Model V
    912 UL - Xtra
    IVO IFA prop

DAT
    thank you, useful info. Given the relatively modest price I was wondering how well it works. Seems like the answer is: not very. Does RPM always oscillate or are there times when it is stable?
    Did the people at Ivoprop not respond at all?
    Regards
    Sacha

I know my 2 cents doesn't have anything to do with the performance or actual operation of the governor but I'd like to share my experience I had with IVO with you. I purchased the IVO with inflight adjustable and the governor. I can't say enough about the IVO prop but I never installed the governor and since I had no use for it, (couldn't find a good place to mount the controller) I called IVO to return it unopened for a refund. I got the refund alright, less a $100 restocking fee. Oh well, Live and Learn
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

It will run at the set RPMs for 5 minutes or so in varying flight conditions (like it should), then all the sudden, increase or decrease rpms, oscillate a little, then back to the set rpms. IVO has been good to deal with on other issues concerning the prop (threw the leading edge tape inflight) and IFA controller (planetary gear failure) and brush replacement ... all at less than 100 hrs. Not much help with the constant speed controller! Not through yet though.
    DAT
    Model V
    912 UL - Xtra
    IVO IFA prop

My .02 on this. Are you running 4 stroke or 2 stroke? The 2 strokes are so up and down on RPM every time you hit a little bump in the air that I would think the poor controller would have a hard time trying to keep up with constantly changing conditions. That coupled with the fact that the slightest bump of the manual controller can change the RPM so much it would have a very hard time keeping it set at XXX RPM. The electric motors in the ultralight prop are NOT heavy duty enough to be constantly used. I have gone through 5 motors between 2 different planes in the last 4 years. That being said, I would not be without my IFA prop, I absolutely love it and it has saved me more than once. When you take off in the morning and its 55 degrees outside, and when you return in the afternoon and its 90, you need to repitch that prop or your going to have nasty surprises in the performance of the plane.

I'm sold on Ivo props but have not seen much success with the prop governors. Not every idea is a homerun.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I just finished the install of my 72" 3 Blade IVO IFA yesterday, I opted not to use the governer and just the toggle switch and breaker above the throttle.

I'm excited to see what kind of improvement I see

I still haven't had any luck getting it to work the way I expected. IVO shop said to return it for a refund if I'm not happy with it. I am going to return it. I still like the IFA prop and the performance it provides.
    DAT
    Model V
    912 UL - Xtra
    IVO IFA prop

that is unfortunate.

i had alot of problems with IVO over the past 2 months, if you want you can read the thread "prop problems" on avidfoxflyers. its page 4. they sent me the wrong parts, sent me damaged parts and sent me wrong parts again. Took over 2 months to get my IVO UL IFA. Finally have everything I need and it seems to be working, just have not had a chance to fly. We have had record rainfall and storms this year.