Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rust

Default Rust

I have a rust problem on the rod en threads on my wings struts. I have stripped the paint 3 times in 3 years and used a metal cleaner, rinsed, dried, primed and painted and after a couple months the rust starts bleeding through the paint.

HELP!
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Default Re: Rust

Hi Pete,

There are probably several things a person could do.

I am not so sure everyone would like my way of dealing with preserving rod end threads because it might be regarded as a little crude.

For any and all exposed rod ends, I coated the threads with grease before screwing them into the receiver.

Another classical preservation method is to clean them up, dip them in boiled linseed oil, let them drip off, assemble them and let them dry in place. (FYI - don't keep any linseed oil rags around for longer than 2 minutes.....a guy forgot about that at a local airport and burned up the hangar and 4 planes - only takes a few hours for them to autoignite - people used to know that when linseed oil was commonly used for preservation of airplane parts).

I am sure ther are methods other than mine which are a little more aesthetically pleasing....but I don't get any rust.

Sincerely,

Dave S

KimandBill2

Motorcycle chain lube works great for this and does not attracted dirt, or LPS3 or soft wax.

I used LPS3 on all threaded rods as noted below. Kinda waxy when it dries.