Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: rudder attachment points

Default rudder attachment points

Hello all, getting to the point of finishing tapes on for the rudder. What has everyone done as far as cutting out for the attachment points? Are you wrapping the fabric and tape to the inside or cutting it off flush? Any disadvantages to either?

Thanks, Patrick

Default Re: rudder attachment points

Hi Patrick,

Can't say what the rest of the world has done; however, I followed Poly Fiber's general advice of wrapping it around edges like this.

I am sure the plane will fly either way; but, having a wrap around/wrap in gives you greater strength with regard to fabric delamination; or, more likely, paint delamination (particularily with aerothane) starting at the edge.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp
    St Paul Minnesota

Thanks Dave, will wrap the egdes,!!!! Thanks again!

I did not wrap the edges, just cut them off flush. There is such a large surface around the cutouts that the fabric and tapes are glued to that there is plenty of strength. Even on things like the round inspection access holes a flush cut is all that Polyfiber recommends.

Jim Ott