Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: May '09 KOTM - Peter Johnson

Default May '09 KOTM - Peter Johnson

Bushrod.jpg

Peter Johnson (lbushrod) - Paradise, CA
    Kitfox Model II
    Jabiru 2200

I purchased my Kitfox II in November 2004 in Corona, CA. It was built by Johan Piertse, well known for his Maule modifications. I flew the Rotax 582 for about 75 hours before deciding to buy a Jabiru 2200. The Rotax performed well but I did not like the density altitude performance and fuel burn, nor did I like truckers on the road passing me going down a freeway.

Starting the Jabiru conversion in February 2005, I was flying by the end of March. It took some time to finish cosmetics but now I have a real airplane that is a joy to fly.

I replaced the 2 stroke instruments for the Jab, added a Micro Air transponder and changed out my Pilot III for the Garmin 196. Having learned to fly in Alaska where visibility can change in a heartbeat, I appreciated the HSI feature of the 196; cheap insurance. I installed a preformed Lexan windshield and door glass, built and installed a new turtle deck with a hatch for access to my baggage compartment.

I acquired a set of ½ wheel pants from a Maule and a storage pod for carrying more bulky items on an air camping trip. The pod holds two folding camp chairs, two fishing poles and a small shade awning. I mostly use the pod; the pants don’t do much but look good.

My lady was handy with a sewing machine so she fashioned new seat covers, rear deck cover with storage pocket and created the sacks for the baggage compartment.

The plane has two 6 gallon wing tanks plus a header that gives me an effective range of three hours; about the same range as my bladder.

I started with a Sensenich scimitar prop for its short field and decent cruise performance but also bought a Tennessee Prop for an even better cruise. I get 1200 - 1350 fpm at 3150 rpm with the Sensenich and 1000 – 1150 fpm at 2950 for the Tennessee prop. I can easily exceed VNE at full power. Normal cruise is 2750 rpm at about 95 mph TAS with a fuel burn of about 2.8 – 3 GPH. My favorite airspeed is about 2450 at 60 – 70 mph but the Jab likes it above 2600.

The plane has a slight nose down pitch at cruise and no baggage so I put some reflex adjustment into the mixer. With that I can trim to hands off straight and level but I do sacrifice some roll rate on the flaperons.

I was not aiming so much for aesthetics as function but I am absolutely pleased with my little Bushrod. See you up there!

Peter Johnson

Dual Brakes so my Lady can fly.jpg
    Sunbrella Fabric - Fade Resistant.jpg
    I keep it tail up in the hangar.jpg

Default Re: May '09 KOTM - Peter Johnson

Congrats Peter on KOTM. You and Johan did a great job on the model 2. Love the paint job. Glad to hear you're happy with the Jab 2200 conversion. Good looking performance numbers and the fuel burn is incredible. Nice work on the cowlings by the way. " It's a joy to fly" seems to be the common statement issued by Model 1 & 2 owners. I can see why after watching many of them fly. As of yet I have not had the privilege of flying a model 1 or 2 but would love to. Nothing like a VLA (Very 'Lite' Aircraft) to put the joy back in flying. Enjoy every flight and congrats again on KOTM.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thank you Steve. I did almost all of the work at Corona airport where an open hangar is an invitation to talk and look and touch. I guess all pilots are like that. Help and opinions abound.

This forum is much like an airport without the hands-on but the pictures and comments are well regarded. I had a lot of help working on my plane and could not be more grateful.

Pete

Congrats Peter on the conversion. Sounds like you are really having some fun. The Jab really sounds like a nice engine for this aircraft. Good luck and many happy hours of flying.

Thanks Peter for a new perspective. It is nice to see an older KF upgraded. I was locked on a KFIV 912. Your performance numbers fit my current criteria. I am inspired great story.

Hope to see you out there soon. On the hunt in WA state!