Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: i fly gps

Default i fly gps

has anyone put a i fly gps in their kitfox? How do you like it? Did you mount it in your panel or on a mount?

Default Re: i fly gps

Mounted in my panel, but is easily removable. I will try to get pics of the back as it pretty much explains how I did it. I have the 700 version. I can usually see where I am on the screen without problems. It can get a little hard to read at times from glare, but I just shade it with my hand to get the info I need. It's the information like frequencies and words that are a problem in the glare. Your position is usually easily observable. Overall I love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Curious to know how you mounted this? I just got an Ifly and I am using the ram mount but I like the way yours mounts better.

Sorry. Forgot to put up pics.

Basically I removed the ram mount piece that slides into the Ifly and sandwiched a sheet of 1/16" aluminum between it and the Ifly. 1/2 inch aluminum "C" channel on just the sides spaced the depth of the sheet nicely so the bezel stuck out of the panel about 3/16" and is plenty sturdy enough. Everything is just held together with regular panel screws. The GPS antenna connection comes through the hole on the top right and the power chord exits through the top right gap.

Oh wow. That's pretty clever. I think I might do the same to mine. I think I might surface mount it rather than cutting the panel. The trick you showed with the ram mount is the idea I needed. Thanks

there is another solution for mounting an Ifly to the panel,.. lol its a toilet bowl bolt,.. no kidding,,its got the same head as the ball mount for the ifly to mount to,..it's what I used for now until I get my new panel built,..after putting a washer and nut on the bolt to hold the ifly,..I put another nut on the bolt,..drilled a hole in panel then a nylock nut on back side,..then I took the nut loose that holds the ifly took it off ,,bent the bolt slightly toward pilot seat,..then put ifly back on,..
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

What a good idea! I ended up using a flat head garage carriage bolt and ground two sides flat but the toilet bolt is a better idea. No grinding required. I might swap mine out.

the toilet bolt is about 2.5" long so it is long enough to put a slight bend and still have the nut turn off,..I have the external antenna hooked up too and had room between the panel and the ifly to plug it in without drilling a hole for it in the panel
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

by the way,,your panel looks great George!
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Thanks!