Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: i fly gps

Default Re: i fly gps

will the ifly record all your flights so you can download and have an electronic log book like the garmin does.

Im not sure ,..it does have camera ports,..av in out.. I have both road and aviation gps modes so I can use it land and air,..it has a jack for audible alarms,..touch screen and remote,...that's all I can think of at the moment since it's in the plane and I'm home,.. I'd be surprised if it didnt
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 12-05-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

It does record your flights for you to review and this can be accessed through the regular menus while it is on. I would bet you could download them from the memory card, but not sure if they would integrate with any logbook software.

I usually call Ed their tech expert,..great guy always willing to help. the 700 is upgradeable with exception to the pixel screen and wifi connect, so if you have a 700 you can have all options but the 2 fore mentioned,..if you have a 700 they will also take it in trade toward a 720, some guys sell them on barn dreamers etc to try and get more then trade in value
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

the ability to have recorded flights and move them into a program for a log book is so important to me. put it this way. I fly an average of 300hrs a year. many times I fly for 30min. two aircraft. I currently take the gps 's out of my airplanes and take it to the shop and download my flights. takes seconds. garmin has a program for their gps called flightbook, it's free. it puts everything in the date, ac type, the id where you took off from and where you went. It also has tally's of your night flights and crosscountry flights. remarks are available as well. activation of the recording is when you go over 300ft. and stops when you land. I've been using this sense I started flying in 04 and at the end of the year I copy off the flight and start up another new record at the beginning of the year. the things that I love about my garmin, it's the direct to, the ability to put radio freq's into the radio, airport information and my flightlog.

I would really like one of these units to replace my old garmin in the kitfox, but if it can't record my flights and put it in a nice program for a log book, well, it just ain't gonna happen.

I agree with the recorded flights. Much more detail available on the electronic versions, but I began my system in 1999 and just sort of stuck with it.

I made a form on Excel and print copies front and back. I fold it into fourths and do some flight planning with it and then clip it to a knee board so I can make notes as I fly. PDF attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I like to just go fly and not think about recorded flights. I got a hold of Ifly and they are working on an update to do just what I want. Look into Flightbook from garmin and you will understand what I'm talking about. The garmin gps will store 30 of your flights. they have a flightbook program that you download into your computer and when you connect your gps to your computer it downloads all your flights into this program. than you delete them off your gps. I, once a year take and print off that years flights and put them with my log books. I also store them in a folder in my computer. I basically do nothing but download once a month off my gps.

I was told by sun and fun they will have something. waiting for it to happen.

I have finally reached the point of buying a GPS. Held off till now because things have been changing so quickly. What ever unit I get must have serial output for the Dynon D-10A autopilot. Unfortunately that seems to leave out most of the tablets. I do want weather and ABS-D. Any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi,

I have the 720 and it is connected to my Dynon 10A and works almost perfectly as far as having the CDI and the HSI coupled. Every so often I have to restart the GPS but this only happens at initialization. I have never lost the connection in flight. If the master switch is on for about a minute before starting the engine this is not an issue but if I start the engine while the GPS is in the early stages of booting it will occasionally not couple. If the power is disconnected from the iFly for a few seconds it will not shutdown but it does seem to stop sending data out the serial port and will uncouple. So, make sure you have a good connection to power that won't fall out. I don't have an autopilot. I used it this summer when I put almost 200 hours on my Model IV flying around the US. It is difficult to read in the sun but since it is coupled I can use the Dynon HSI and/or CDI to stay on track. The Dynon is always readable.

It does record flights and that came in real handy when I was hit by another airplane earlier this year. I was not flying the Model IV but instructing in a C152, which lost its right main gear from the impact. The NTSB was able to use the file from my iFly to reconstruct the incident. The files can be read by Google Earth. I often pull up tracks, on the iFly, right after a lesson to show students how they are flying in the traffic pattern. Really great for letting them see what I am telling them in the air when they are not flying a proper rectangular pattern. Also great for post flight analysis of S-turns, turns about a point, etc.

Henry

Wow! Henry, can you tells us a little more about this? Maybe start another thread about it. Sounds like we might all be able to learn something from your story.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos