Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubble door installation

Default Bubble door installation

Builders,
    As I arrived at the point where I may install the bubble doors, I have some questions:
    Are your doors in the frame, or are they overlapping the frame?
    At all three sides (the top is to be trimmed)?
    Is it correct that the doors are not too flush with the door frame at the bottom?
    I searched the forum, I would be very happy with any kind of detailed photos you have....
    As is said more than often: it is more easy to trim too much than too little...

Te in advance,

Default Re: Bubble door installation

Here is one in process shot I have.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/pic...pictureid=2427
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

This is good timing. I just finished installing my bubble doors. This link has a pdf file that has very good directions for installing the doors.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ht=bubble+door

My tool kit came with a 1/8 and 1/4 drill bit for the acrilic doors. In the directions you will need a 5/32 drill bit also. I couldn't find one last Sunday when I went to several places looking. I found on the internet that they suggested using a Uni-Bit for acrilic. I'll have to say that the Unibit worked great for me. You will also need a #12 bit to drill the holes in the door frame.

Good luck!

Scott

I had to trim some at the top to get the door centered up on the frame. Then all the sides were trimmed to fit within the fuselage frame lip.

Jim

For those who have used rivnuts, how did you back drill the acrylic? I'm assuming you didn't drill through the whole doorframe.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Josh - What to you mean "back drill"?

I used RivNuts on mine.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Josh
    you can buy ($6-7) at Aircraft Spruce a Strap Duplicator-bushing type. I have made a couple of these very easily. But, drill the frame and install your rivnut. Use the strap dublicator and drill the glass. To make it just use two strips of aluminum riveted together on one end. Drill a hole clean through both strips on the opposite end. place a machine screw the size of the rivnut through the one side, with the screw head sandwiched between the two sheets of aluminum.
    Eddie

You can also just locate the holes pretty accurately through the clear plastic, making a little mark with a fine point Sharpie. It doesn't have to be a close tolerance hole and will be oversize anyway.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

After mounting the glass with the hinge bolts and trimming to fit the door frame, I put the frame / glass on a worktable - glass up. Used a Sharpie to locate mounting holes around the frame and drilled through the plastic with a plastic bit, letting the bit ride on the frame to scratch a locating mark. Removed the glass, drilled larger holes in the frame and installed RivNuts. Laid the glass in place and started installing #10 pan heads (if I remember correctly) with nylon washers. There were a couple of holes in the plastic that needed to be enlarged and a couple of holes were filed into slightly oval shapes but the head of the screw covered the holes. Didn't want any pressure between a bolt and the plastic.

After sending a big crack across a bubble in a previous cutting mishap, I was leery of the Unibit. You'll find special plastic bits on eBay.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Josh
    you can buy ($6-7) at Aircraft Spruce a Strap Duplicator-bushing type. I have made a couple of these very easily. But, drill the frame and install your rivnut. Use the strap dublicator and drill the glass. To make it just use two strips of aluminum riveted together on one end. Drill a hole clean through both strips on the opposite end. place a machine screw the size of the rivnut through the one side, with the screw head sandwiched between the two sheets of aluminum.
    Eddie
    Took me a second to visualize what you were describing but it makes sense. Thanks Eddie.

John, I think I may end up going your route or Carls since as you said, they will be oversized anyway if the tolerance is out slightly.

Carl, I do have acrylic bits that came with the kit so I will use those over the unibit.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3