Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How much runway is enough?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: How much runway is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot4Life View Post
    The question I always ask myself when making a decision is always based on the "most conservative response"
    I respect your opinion and expected several like this, and I am not saying you are wrong. You can't argue for very long with the kind of thinking that keeps more people alive/safe. By no means do I think a short down hill strip is the best laid plan, honestly I was hoping to draw out a few stories from people with experience in strips like this. There are a lot of those people out there, there is a hand full of stories every year in aviation periodicals about one way landing strips and their challenges. That is more what I was looking for.

But I must beg that you remove that phrase from your vocabulary. "Most conservative approach" is the version of that nonsense that I was brought up with. It makes no sense in the realm of most aviation, especially in a realm such as home built experimental aircraft. The most conservative approach is to not go flying as a hobby. As an HH crew member the most conservative approach would be to never take off and instead point out the mistakes made that led to the injury in the first place. So then you can amend it to "Most conservative approach to accomplish the mission." This makes only slightly more sense and only if there is a mission that needs to be accomplished. I will argue that VERY few people flying Kitfoxes are accomplishing anything more significant then producing ear to ear grins. Unless the stated mission is to spend as much as humanly possible for a hamburger. I underlined challanges above because meeting challenges is one of my missions, which is why I exploit the STOL characteristics of my KF3 the way I do. And why I asked to go to Alaska when I was told I was going to Hawai'i. Bush flying is constantly meeting challenges and putting yourself and your aircraft in what conservative people would call stupid situations. When flying over mountains where there are no forced landing spots available regardless of your AGL altitude and landing on unimproved strips, or sand bars, just to go fishing, it is hard to imagine how somebody might describe how they did that conservatively. I think being honest with yourself and your passengers is more realistic and important, I am sure that more then a few pilots in the thousands of videos on YouTube of people flying with out an out (we Kitfoxers are not innocent of this either) like to use the "most conservative approach" saying in excess.

I will get off my soap box now. It's not you, it's me. I freakin HATE that phrase. Also, I don't know if AK is significantly different then the lower 48 but down here if I could afford a home on a runway I would probably be posting to the Carbon Cub list instead of the Kitfox one.
    Last edited by WurlyBird; 01-30-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Old pilots and bold pilots, BUT, very few old and bold pilots.

Dick B (former Helio Courier C/STOL pilot)

Mine started out as 900' with trees 600' to the east of the threshold, and clear to the west. Having my plane out behind the barn is priceless.

You will have to pick your days. The uphill factor is going to make it a one way in, one way out most of the time. Having a challenging strip to come home to will make you a better pilot. Instead of landing on 1500' runway with clear approaches. You can do it, there are plenty of people with short runways who do. You have to have enough skill, and enough plane to pull it off.

Check out supercub.org a lot of AK guys on there.

Head up north and go flying with these guys. John has a plethora of landing spots on his farm from beginner to advanced.

http://ohiobushplanes.com/1/?page_id=163

This video was made a couple of years ago there is a glimpse of me on decelerator at about 1:14 on the video
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Well.... my farm runway is about 1400'x75'(in summer.... much narrower in winter because I want to fly...not blow snow). I doesn't need to be 1400' long for me with my Kitfox, but I get alot of visitors (which I like) because it is long enough for a wide variety of planes. Depending on the crop we grow(soybeans good, corn bad), there's an easy approach on either 18 or 36.

Here's a picture of it last Sunday. The air was wonderfully smooth @ -18C.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

BTW... very nice video Nick! I love the "decelerator"!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Great photo ackselle. Beautiful Kitfox.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear