Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic IV Speedster Rebuild

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Classic IV Speedster Rebuild

Yes I (we) did. I had the help of a good friend who is a supremely qualified welding artist.

Link
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Good luck on your fix. It will be nice to see it flying again.

Quote.. Since I can't have a super cub. Your going to have a sweet plane man. I would take a classic speedster over a pa-18 super cub anyday. Performance is very simular you will just burn half the amount of fuel.

Travis I have rebuilt my IV because of the same type of mishap, so if I can be any assistance let me know. I am in the middle of a house build and it may take a while to get back with you but I will do what I can. Up until a year ago I lived in Emporia but moved South to Tulsa, but I have a lot of pics and can talk you through what I did. Call if you want Bryan 620-481-1976

Well its been a while since I have posted anything, so I guess I'll give everyone an update. Life has been crazy lately, we bought a house, got married, and had a baby all in about a year and a half. So I have had to put the Kitfox project on the back burner. On the plus side, I have had plenty of time to study the damage and after several different plans of attack on how to fix it I have finally committed to the one that I think is best.

Originally and after talking to an A&P the plan was to try and bend most of the damaged tubing back into place using pusher blocks and big C clamps. Well that was easier said than done, and the tubes I did push back into place just weren't turning out as straight as I would have liked. So I scrapped that and decided to stop ***** footing around and just figure out a way to cut out the damage and replace it with straight new tubing.

I took careful measurements and sketched out a plan of where everything should end back up, then started cutting.

You can see the temporary bracing I installed to keep everything where its supposed to be while I fabricate a new belly structure.

I also bought a Lathe/Mill to help with any machining. It works pretty well for coping the tubing so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice looking IV, best of luck with a difficult repair! Congratulations with respect to the family, family first.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks Paul, I hope I can do the plane justice. The original builder did a great job. I can't wait to get the wings back on and fire up the old rotax. I'm crossing my fingers on that one..

You got yourself one nice little speedster. I looked that Kitfox over extensively at OSH a bunch of years ago. Its paint scheme inspired what I did on my Kitfox. I love how it has a look reminescent of an old Monocoupe. That will be a fun ride when you get it done. But hang that pretty GSC on the wall and get a prop that performs. You'll gain significant performance.

I like your approach to the repairs. You won't regret doing it right.

Keep us posted. It's exciting to know it will be flying again one day,..

flame welding? tig or mig?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    flame welding? tig or mig?
    Tig. I bought a Miller Syncrowave 200 a few years ago that I have been playing with. Thanks to Jody from '' Welding Tips and Tricks" on youtube I feel like can do a sufficient job at sticking everything back together. The only part that I still need some practice on will be the inverted stuff when I have to lay underneath the fuselage and weld the belly back in.