Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polyfiber fabric, tapes

Default Polyfiber fabric, tapes

Quote Originally Posted by MotReklaw View Post
    We are using the Stewart System for the covering on our 7 and since the polyfiber fabric isn't compatible with the Stewart method,
    What? Sure, it's compatible. All of the modern systems use polyester fabric. It's all the same make up.

Default Re: Polyfiber fabric, tapes

Geo, after trying to get the stewarts water based glue to penetrate the fabric two times I gave up. Seems the fabric will not fully blend through the polyfiber material. I was getting about 25% penetration with the Stewarts. It's possible the tapes will work since they are the light fabric, but I'm going with the Ceconite 102.

See this:

http://www.stewartsystems.aero/categ...c-and-supplies

Thanks,
    Last edited by MotReklaw; 09-05-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: clarity
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Thumbs up Re: Polyfiber fabric, tapes

Its not for me to question the experts . But I used the Polyfiber fabric with the Stewart system adhesives and it worked great.

Dutch.

I used Ceconite medium as supplied by Kitfox Aircraft late last year and had no problems using Stewart Systems adhesive this summer. Heat shrank everything at 325 degrees. The wings and tail feathers are now thru paint (by American Champion Aircraft)and look great. Working on the fuselage now.

Geo, after trying to get the stewarts water based glue to penetrate the fabric two times I gave up. Seems the fabric will not fully blend through the polyfiber material. I was getting about 25% penetration with the Stewarts. It's possible the tapes will work since they are the light fabric, but I'm going with the Ceconite 102.

See this:

Thanks,
    Interesting. This must be a new warning? Are they saying the old heavy is the new 102-3 medium? I'm confused now, but thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 09-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Geo, I think the Ceconite 103-2 is a new product. I don't know much about fabric, being an ex all aluminum builder, but that's the way it seems.

I'm sure other builders were successful with using polyfiber and Stewarts but it didn't work for me.

I'm going to upload two pictures, the first one will be using the Stewarts glue on the Polyfiber and the second using the Stewarts' on Ceconite 103-2.... I hope the detail will be good enough for you to see why we changed fabric.

-from Widipedia...
    "...Steve married Dorthy Rady in 1941. He taught her to fly and she accompanied him to most of his races. Dorthy died in 1991 and Wittman married Paula Muir in 1992. On April 27, 1995, Wittman and Muir took off for a routine cross-country flight from their winter home in Ocala, Florida to their summer home in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The Wittman "O&O" N41SW (41 for 1941, year of his first marriage, plus SW, his initials) crashed five miles south of Stevenson Alabama, killing both Steve and Paula. The cause was improper installation of the wing fabric, causing it to debond, resulting in aileron/wing flutter...."

Peace
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

See this:

Thanks,
    I note that the Stewarts' site caution begins "- CAUTION - We do not recommend the use of Ceconite or Poly-Fiber heavy 101-3 fabric with this finishing system." My kit came with PolyFiber "Med, 2.7", so is there an issue? I certainly plan to use Stewarts as I am building in my attached garage and MEK fumes in the house would be intolerable.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Thumbs up Re: Polyfiber fabric, tapes

Hi Gary

I found that this worked the best for me. Apply a narrow( 1/8-3/16") line of adhs. to the apex of the tube or existing fabric-let dry. Hand rub fabric into this glue line. (Allows you to reposition And adjust.) Heat bond using hobby iron. Trim fabric to proper length. (Not in curved areas because you will want to use your hobby iron to stretch and shape the fabric in those areas and having some length to work with makes the job a lot easier.) Apply adhs. to underlying structure immediately apply adhs. on top of fabric so the fabric has wet adhs. both under and on top of it. Wipe of the top of the fabric with blue towel pushing the adhs. into the fabric and wiping of the excess. (dont be to worried about neatnes.) After the adhs. dries go over every thing with your hobby iron to take out any wrinkles and bubbles. Believe me the adhesion is extremly strong, very easy to work with, and absolutely no fumes. (I did some of the work on my dining room table.) The thing to remember is get wet glue both under And on top of the fabric.

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-07-2012 at 11:50 AM.

At Oshkosh, the guy in the Stewarts booth said you can thin the adhesive with water, 5% by volume or weight, with no loss of strength. This will greatly improve penetration thru the fabric.

I'm beginning to agree with Dutch.

Thanks for all the comments.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama