Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Polyfiber fabric, tapes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Re: Polyfiber fabric, tapes

Hi Gary

I found that this worked the best for me. Apply a narrow( 1/8-3/16") line of adhs. to the apex of the tube or existing fabric-let dry. Hand rub fabric into this glue line. (Allows you to reposition And adjust.) Heat bond using hobby iron. Trim fabric to proper length. (Not in curved areas because you will want to use your hobby iron to stretch and shape the fabric in those areas and having some length to work with makes the job a lot easier.) Apply adhs. to underlying structure immediately apply adhs. on top of fabric so the fabric has wet adhs. both under and on top of it. Wipe of the top of the fabric with blue towel pushing the adhs. into the fabric and wiping of the excess. (dont be to worried about neatnes.) After the adhs. dries go over every thing with your hobby iron to take out any wrinkles and bubbles. Believe me the adhesion is extremly strong, very easy to work with, and absolutely no fumes. (I did some of the work on my dining room table.) The thing to remember is get wet glue both under And on top of the fabric.

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-07-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Default Re: Polyfiber fabric, tapes

At Oshkosh, the guy in the Stewarts booth said you can thin the adhesive with water, 5% by volume or weight, with no loss of strength. This will greatly improve penetration thru the fabric.

Default Re: Polyfiber fabric, tapes

I'm beginning to agree with Dutch.

Thanks for all the comments.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Smile Re: Polyfiber fabric, tapes

I'd like to thank the folks who responded to this thread. I learned a lot and put it to good use while covering my wings.

THANKS
    Tommy Walker in Alabama