Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Upholstery

Default Re: Show Off Your Upholstery

Lost my in process pictures, but basically I went to the local fabric store and got 1 and 2 inch foam. 1 inch for the backs, 2 inch for the bottoms. I cut out the foam to fit the seat pan - 2 bottoms and 2 backs. Then got samples and eventually ordered fabric from this place - http://www.rockywoods.com/ - Lots of different types and colors. I gave the cut out foam to my sister and described what pattern I wanted. She basically made covers to fit the foam pieces using batting with a quilting process for the red area to give it some depth and make the raised portions. We then sewed velcro to the undersides and stuck velcro to the seat pan. My only change would be to use memory foam at least on the bottoms. I have a bunch of matching fabric to eventually do the cargo area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Geowitz, is this leather? it seem to be hot for the butt, with all the light that can come through the skylight and windshield.... artificial suede?

Nope, not leather. It's one of the medium weight nylon fabrics like Cordura, the backpack material type stuff. - http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ki...-Nylon-Fabrics

The red part is the same general type of fabric, just has the diamond pattern.

Geowitz, you have to tell your sister that she done a nice job on your seats!!!

Geowitz, Looks great. I may get her to sew mine. I like the look. When We gonna get together? If you can fly up one weekend I'll pick you up and show you my 5. just getting started really and could use some advice. Give me a call. Eddie

Thought I would post mine. I opted for lightweight and home brew. The padding is one inch memory foam with covers made from some fabric we found in the remnants bin at a fabric store a looong time ago.

The first one who recognizes the fabric and PMs me with an address will get something in the mail just for fun.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Flashy Lowell. I like it. Thanks for all the pictures so far guys.

I'm thinking of re-doing the foam in my seats. I see some people using 1" and some using 2" bottom seat foam. Some using regular foam and some using "memory" foam. I have to admit I know nothing about cushion foams. Why do some of you use what you use? What are the differences?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve,
    I said I used memory foam, but it was actually some stuff I found at a surplus metals place. It was a blank that is used to punch out the soft sponge like ear plugs. It has the consistency of memory foam. I used the thinner material simply because a buddy advised it. It was a case of headroom or not. I find that at my age it is more how my back feels than the old bottom. From my pics, you can see that I put some stuff in the lumbar region. I was in sort of a hurry to fly off the 40 hours so in the later flights, I spent a bit of time in the air and it was my ankles and lower back that let me know when it was time to take a stretch.
    Lowell

Thanks Lowell for the explanation. What I am thinking about is a wedge 2" or so thick in the rear and 1" thick in the front. The cut angle would be on the bottom of the foam so the top of the seat would be somewhat flat. That would provide more foam in the butt area where my weight is and less foam behind my knees. I'm also considering a hole along the rear foam edge in the center of where I sit to release pressure on my tail bone. I would glue a strap across the back of the hole to hold the left and right sides from spreading apart.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos