Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox down

Default Kitfox down

Well, no one hurt much, a few scrapes and bruises, but the IV-1200 didn't fare so well. She had come to a quick stop and flipped right over on her back.
    By the time I got to the field, she was back on her feet. She looked very unhappy. I got her back in the barn and cleaned up so I could assess the damage.

Now I didn't build her, but now I may get a good taste of what the builder went through. But I need some help to get me going. I don't know if all kitfoxes are similarly damaged when this occurs. But this list may ring bells for those who have seen this. I Kinda need to know if this is a totaled bird.

The worst damage that I can see is the fuselage is bent pretty good aft of the turtle deck and forward of the stabilizers. I haven't cut the skin to see the extend of the damage. It is almost so bad that I thought the fuselage was completely separated at this point. Is getting an new fuselage frame my only option?

So from front to back...Spinner, blades, engine inspection and appropriate mounts/hardware. The bump round cowling took many hits, rudder/brake pedals, Windshield/overhead(1 piece), fuel tank caps, rudder and the main strut-to-wing attach fittings. AND the fuselage skeleton. That doesn't account for anything I may find when I tear is apart.

So, where to start?
    Last edited by deejayel; 11-02-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added a few sentence

Default Re: Kitfox down

Photos would help this evaluation...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Ill try to get some pictures this weekend.

We've had a few airplanes at my airport wrapped up in a ball that came back to life. Time and money are required. With a tube aircraft, it's often a case of more time than money.

Where to start? Assuming your first step would have been to the insurance claims office. If they have settled or you've purchased the salvage...

1. compete disassembly. Remove engine, interior, wings, stab, rudder, etc.
    2. remove all fabric covering. Wings and fuselage.
    3. Have a tube/fabric mechanic look it over with you. Two of you will find more things than either of you, alone.

Once you have a list of the damage, start taking measurements to see how bent things are. Resign yourself to the fact you will get very good with an angle grinder and a gas welder. Come-alongs and a torch for heating can get a lot of fuselage members back in place. Badly bent parts will need to be cut out and replaced. There's a lot of good info on how to do the repairs in AC 43.13

In the wings you are looking for obvious bends and broken ribs.

Not an impossible job, but it will take a lot of time. Many an airplane has been rebuilt with nothing more than a data plate from the original.

John

AC43.13 will be the standard unless your A/C has a Structural Repair Manual.
    Opportunity for a huge learning experience, the silver lining!
    Eric

Thanks for the advice.

I guess now that the dust is somewhat settled, I can take a better look at what needs to be done. FWIW, I am an A+P, but other than a touch here and there, I don't have real experience with tube and fabric repair. I guess I was also getting tired just looking at how much work needs to be done. That was part of the reasoning behind finding a turn-key bird. I own two other airplanes(not near as fun as the KF), and keeping them airworthy seems to be a full-time job some days. I just finished a 2 year restoration on the family cherokee 6. Of course these projects are never really finished...

I'll try not to throw him under the bus, but posting this question may possibly do just that. My co-owner who was flying the plane swears that both brakes locked up and over he went. um,ok,um...thoughts? Matco brakes, pilot side only, plane has 70hrs. I had flown it 2 hours prior and experienced no ill effects... I know anything is possible. I would not have warm and fuzzy feelings getting back in the airplane after repairs if these brakes have a tendency to lock up shortly after touchdown.

So I'm leaning to giving it a go. If nothing else, it will give me more valuable experience. I do have time--I suppose...
    Last edited by deejayel; 11-05-2012 at 06:39 PM.

The $100,000.00 question. How much taildragger time does he have?

He spent many years in ul taildraggers. Many hours. This was his first airplane taildragger however.

But I have seen taildraggers get away from high time pilots as well as low time fliers.

Brakes locked up , they must be way better brakes than my matco .i do well keeping the plane from rolling just doing a mag check .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Does he have big feet? It is possible that he got on the brakes and got his toes hung up and could not get off them. I have had that happen to me in my avid, but as others have mentioned, it is darn near impossible using stock matco brakes to lock them up enough to go over on its back.

When I got mine the fuse was buckled and bent behind the turtle deck as you are describing do to a gear leg failure and a trip to its back. Totalt time of cutting and welding to replace buckled tubes in the fuse and a new rudder post was under 7 hours. While I was at it, I welded in gussets on the side of the fuse to totaly plate in the lower longerons from the firewall to behind the strut attach point. My gear may fail, but I dont think the fuse will buckle right at the seat truss anymore.

Tube and fabric is way easier to replace and straighten than aluminum and a million rivets!