Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D-motor from Belgium

Default Re: D-motor from Belgium

I too have been watching the dollar sink to the Euro, but because I am interested in the (still more expensive) UL 315is. Hopefully the cycle will reverse and towards the end of 2014, I'm hoping it will be much more reasonable.

As mentioned before, I threw the LF 26 out of the mix for my consideration as it simply doesn't have enough UMPF for me. However the LF 39 does and compares very closely to the 315is.

That said, I have looked further into the D-Motors and still have the following concerns (applies to either D-Motor):

Weight; I know virtually all manufacturers don't include all of the items required to operate an engine in their weights listed. Knowing that, I still can't see an operating weight near 125 pounds. Maybe for the core engine "with liquids". But this also has a radiator, oil cooler, oil reservoir, cooling reservoir, ecu and fuel pump, all mounted separate from the engine. I'd really like to see some users post actual firewall forward installed weights - my guess would be between 150 and 160.

Extended testing/reliability: There is still very little info about the LF 26 in operation and virtually none on the LF 39.

The above being important (besides the obvious reasons) because - after looking past the cool flat head design - it finally dawned on me that the INTAKE IS MOUNTED ON THE BOTTOM of the engine!

Has anyone ever seen a bottom mounted intake? If so, I'd like to know how well and how long they worked. Anyway, I've never seen one and so (being an ex engineer) it got me wondering - what could go wrong there?

Hmm:

It's next to and above the exhaust and muffler - MIGHT add some heat to the intake air - never good for efficient combustion. Maybe negligible though.

D-Motor says and I quote "When a valve of a sidevalve engine is not closing, you continue flying with less power and there won't be expensive repair cost"

What happens when the rings, valve seals etc. break in and over time wear and allow oil seepage? Where does that oil go? Where does the oil and/or water go if a gasket fails (head or intake)? Or head or block crack? In a conventional top mounted intake - it mixes fluids till it overheats and/or drips off outside the case and keeps running until there is not enough fluid left and/or it overheats and then it fails. IF water and/or oil can get into the bottom mounted intake (likely as there is a direct path) - I'd bet it would stop running pretty quickly.

So, I'd really need to see an extensive amount of time built on either of these engines before investing in one.

Just my 2 cents!
    Greg

The above being important (besides the obvious reasons) because - after looking past the cool flat head design - it finally dawned on me that the INTAKE IS MOUNTED ON THE BOTTOM of the engine!

Has anyone ever seen a bottom mounted intake? If so, I'd like to know how well and how long they worked. Anyway, I've never seen one and so (being an ex engineer) it got me wondering - what could go wrong there?

It's next to and above the exhaust and muffler - MIGHT add some heat to the intake air - never good for efficient combustion. Maybe negligible though.
    Most certified reciprocating engines use an updraft induction system with the intake and exhaust below the engine. Lycoming engines even route the intake runners through the oil sump, with the carburetor bolted directly to the sump, to heat the intake charge lessening the likelihood of induction icing.

I took a long look at the D-motor at Airventure this year. It is a very interesting motor, to say the least, but I also am very skeptical on the efficiency of a flat head design in regard to combustion. Flow and swirl are major considerations on a reciprocating engine. If flat head motors weren't so inefficient, they would still be in use in the automotive industry.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 12-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Guess I should have been clearer - it's the bottom mounted intake without an oil sump that concerns me. All of the certified ones had an oil sump to collect the gravity flowing oil. This doesn't, it is a remote mounted tank firewall mounted higher than the engine, so the intake system is the only place for it to go if there was a failure/leak/seepage.

Continentals are separate…

I guess I don't follow what you are thinking. If there is an oil control failure and the oil gets past the intake valves, it will go into an updraft induction system no matter the location of the oil sump.

The Rotax 912 uses a dry sump system. The intakes are on the top, so there is no place for the excess oil to go in the event of an oil control failure (extremely rare - but possible). One of the reasons for pulling a few blades through to burp the motor before starting, making sure there is no hydro-lock.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Larry,

Many Continentals have a sump, it looks like an o-200 you are picturing and even that has an oil reservoir below the engine. Are you saying that if oil were to get into an intake (leaky valves and/or rings) without another place for gravity to take it - the intake could simply ingest the oil and run?

You wouldn't have hydro lock as the cylinders are on the sides and gravity wants to take the oil to the low point - in the case of the D-Motor the valves are under the cylinders and the intake below that, which is also the low point - not a sump or reservoir.

As you mention on the Rotax the intake is on the top and the valves are also above the cylinders, so if they leak, everything should leak down past the pistons, through the cylinders and into the crankcase.

The primary reason for cycling a Rotax was/is to get the oil out of the crankcase as some filters did not have anti drain back and many builders were mounting the oil reservoir to high in relationship to the engine and without burping, it was impossible to get an accurate oil level check. IE, pre-oiling to get the oil out of the crankcase and back into the tank. Not specifically for hydro-lock (although it does check for that) which is not very likely on an overhead valve, side piston engine. Not like could occur on a radial where the oil could be on wrong side of the bottom cylinder head.

But back to my point: if there were a water and/or oil breach (internal gasket leak or head or block crack) where the intake is the lowest point in the system - couldn't the oil and/or oil-water combination drown the intake and kill the engine? And in this case with the valves under the cylinders - drown them out first before it even gets to the intake?

For example most auto engines have the intake on the top - coincidentally, just last week (which got me thinking about this in the 1st place) my wife drove her car for over 2 hours with an internal head leak (crack) due to a stuck thermostat, that flooded the cooling system with oil which then overflowed the cooling system. To my surprise the engine was running fine when she got home. It was noticed because the volume overflowed the cooling tank onto the garage floor and the puddle wasn't straight coolant! It had pumped over 2 quarts of oil into the coolant side. But it certainly still runs even with fluids in the wrong place. I don't think that could have happened if the intake was under the engine and ingested (either from an internal breach or externally) that volume of oil/water.

Okay, here's a picture of the inside of a D-Motor head:
    D-Motor Head.jpg

The exhaust and intake use a common chamber BELOW the cylinder. The intake is below that. There are plenty of ways for water or oil or a combination of both to get into the intake and effect all cylinders.

Granted a failure in any engine is not a good thing, but as mentioned, with the valves above the cylinder and also the intake above it all - there are many times in a more conventional engine, that the failure only affects the one cylinder and you can continue to run on the other three.

Not saying it would in this case but the chances are vastly increased by the location of the valves and the intake orientation to the cylinders.

Also might want to note the location of the spark plugs. In this case they are opposing the cylinder case in the intake/exhaust passage, between the valves and the cylinder. This type of design was one of the reasons flat heads produced less power (more power wasted to exhaust) than a conventional design with the plug centered above the cylinder.

It required lower compression to avoid burning cylinder casings, valves and valve seals. To avoid this problem the compression was generally less than 7/1. D-Motor indicates an 8/1 ratio which MIGHT also be a long term longevity issue.

As mentioned with this design, I would want to see an awful lot of history before investment.

This is great, for many years I've watched cars get more and more stream lined and wondered why the flat head was over looked. Now that I've gotten serious about aircraft the compact sizing of flat heads seemed obvious.
    Throw modern engine tech at the flat head I've often though that a lot the problems of the flat design could be overcome. This will be fun to watch.
    James.

James,

That would be interesting if it were the case, but everything with this motor except the electronics is 1930's technology and design. Flat heads were less efficient due to the design and I don't see that changing here. The upside down layout is not helping me gain any additional enthusiasm for these engines.

Greg

Darn it!!!

Getting back to the D Motor...does anyone have more new information? Since the HKS four stroke series seems to have been eliminated as a possible engine source, the D Motor has come up again. After an Internet inquiry, I got a call from Doc in Deland who gave me an enthusiastic pitch. D Motor will be at Sun N Fun, so we can take a look. Apparently there are plans to manufacture these engines in the States.

Does anyone have plans to install one of these motors on a Kitfox?

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29