Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Antennas

Default Antennas

I build an anti collision light onto the welded plate behind the turtledeck, so my com antenna needs another home. I was thinking of the welded plate in the bottom side of the fuse, but I want to use a transponder, as well.
    What do you Guys think of putting the two antennas both onto the Same plate?
    Or any other ideas?
    Have any of you any experience with Archer antennas (wingtips) - and if so: what type did you use??
    Last edited by HansLab; 10-17-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Default Re: Antennas

You need a minimum space of 3 ft between the 2 antennas to prevent RF perturbations

Default Re: Antennas

I just went through this with my model 4. The original antenna plates had been removed after a rebuild and all I had left was the bottom plate that was used for the transponder. What I ended up doing was mounting the antenna on the belly under the passenger side just behind the landing gear. I removed the seat, cut a piece of thin aluminum and adel clamped it between the tubing and the fabric under the seat. I bent up a corner of the aluminum, drilled and attached it to a plate where the landing gear mounts. This gave me a good ground. I simply drilled holes in the aluminum to fit the Dorne & Margolin antenna base. I used a soldering iron to melt holes through the fabric and bolted it down. Since the antenna was straight, I had to bend it back to keep from hitting the ground but you can buy pre-bent antennas. Here is the antenna that I used since I already had it.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/dmC63_1.php

I didn't take any pics of the installation under the seat but I can snap some of where it is at on the belly. I have seen other kitfoxes with it monuted to the belly. I can hear traffic at airports 50+ miles away and I am told that my transmissions are loud and clear.