Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating hysol

Default Heating hysol

How warm do you have to get hysol to get it to release or will it. I want to lower my elevator assist spring bracket which is held on with hysol and hose clamps. I would like to be able to trim the plane for a 60 mph final which I can't quite do now.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Heating hysol

I’ve read you could release Hysol with heat, but I was not able to do it.

I had a rib on the tail that was a bit out of alignment and I wanted to shift it. I tried heating the rib and metal frame with a heat gun. I used enough heat to soften the powder coating and was afraid I would scorch or char the wood rib. The Hysol did not soften nor did the bond release. I gave up on the heat idea and used a Dremel tool to cut and grind the rib free. I now consider a Hysol bond to be as permanent as welding.

The answer is somewhere in excess of “pretty darn hot”. Possibly near the point of combustion.

With two metal parts, you may be able to get sufficient heat to break the bond. With wood to metal, I was unable to do so.

Just be careful of nearby covering material. Fabric melts at 432 and I know I had more heat on the bond than that.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Thanks John just the kind of info I was looking for. I may just try an extension bracket off the original.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dorsal,
    I have had very good success with getting the Hysol to release using a heat gun. I had to do it on 3 occasions. A tool I made helped assist during the process. It was a hardwood chisel of sorts...1" wide 1/4" thick and beveled the end to about 45 degrees. This allowed me to apply direct pressure immediately after heating it up to a spot on the Hysol I wanted it to release. The tool didn't scratch the powdercoat yet allowed the pressure needed. It doesn't tend to get very soft, but it does release in chunks.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I used a heat gun on my project when replacing the rib tails. Also used it to remove the wing tank from a KF II. A good heat gun made quick work of it. I used a chisel with a slightly dulled tip so it would not dig in or gouge the aluminum spar. I never measured the temp, but I know the heat gun will put out air around 1200 degrees and it did not need to be held on the joint very long before the hysol got soft.

I too used a heat gun to remove damaged ribs on my project that were glued with hysol. I then used it to loosen a rib that I installed crooked and the heat gun worked perfect. I put pressure on the hysol joint with a screwdriver and when it got hot enough the joint would start to move. Keep the heat more on the metal if working close to wood.

Turns out drilling three holes in a piece of aluminum was pretty easy and I moved the attach point for the spring down ~1/2 inch. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hey, I have to remove some Hysol too.
    What brand or model heat gun would you guys recommend?

thanks in advance
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by rogerh12 View Post
    Hey, I have to remove some Hysol too.
    What brand or model heat gun would you guys recommend?

thanks in advance
    Roger
    If you have a heat gun for model covering that is all I used. The industrial heat guns can get it hot enough to burn the wood..

ok, I was wondering about that. I ahave seen some pretty serious heat guns !!!
    Roger