Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Practicing the impossible turn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Practicing the impossible turn

I saw this video before the post. There is no question that there are balls involved, and a full understanding of this aircraft and physics. It's very fun to watch. 2:34 shows me how tough the gear is.. that looked like that could have ended a lot of fun right there.... Sideways gear hit? Very cool video, wish I had the balls for low, slow, steep bank turns.

Am I the only one that circles the airport after take off?
    I don't worry about needing to turn back to the airport on low altitude engine failure because I am already turning back. After takeoff, unless it is specifically prohibited, after I reach the end of the runway, I turn and fly the pattern until I have gained some good altitude before I start flying to my destination. If anything goes wrong at less than 1000 agl, I am still next to the airport in the pattern. Ya, it makes the trip a little longer, but like they say, altitude is insurance and I always take out a little extra insurance before I head anywhere.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by rogerh12 View Post
    Am I the only one that circles the airport after take off?
    I don't worry about needing to turn back to the airport on low altitude engine failure because I am already turning back. After takeoff, unless it is specifically prohibited, after I reach the end of the runway, I turn and fly the pattern until I have gained some good altitude before I start flying to my destination. If anything goes wrong at less than 1000 agl, I am still next to the airport in the pattern. Ya, it makes the trip a little longer, but like they say, altitude is insurance and I always take out a little extra insurance before I head anywhere.
    Roger
    I used to do that after a 100 hour inspection, oil change, gauges change, etc in the rental AC I fly. Now I just do my thing. I fly by all of the rules, and watch carefully and am ready for that open field at all times...

roger,
    what will you do if the engine dies between the time your wheels leave the runway and the end of the runway before you start your first turn? What do you do if you are in the crosswind leg? You are still 270 degrees from the runway!

IMHO there is a zone when it's too late to land straight ahead. Why not know that you can turn back? It's easy to practice at altitude using a road below you as the runway. 3000 agl provides plenty of altitude to practice.

something to think about...most crashes are in or near the pattern.

Exclamation Re: Practicing the impossible turn

Don't forget that an idling engine and a dead engine produce significantly different amounts of thrust.

Steve;

If your engine does die, it’s best that the propeller breaks off too, from a drag prospective. That’s what happened in my Zenith 601, and I can say for a fact that the glide ratio was positively affected !!!!

Roger.