Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Do KF airplanes not have a main spar?

Default Do KF airplanes not have a main spar?

I'm just looking at tons of builds and pictures online. I'm debating buying an 4 or building a 4. Anyway, looking at the folding wings, there is no main wing spar that goes through the fuselage. Am I seeing this correct? Thanks.

Default Re: Do KF airplanes not have a main spar?

Correct, but this is more common than you may think in high wing aircraft with struts. A center main through spar is not necessary with the struts. Very little stress in the area where the wings attach to the fuse since the struts transfer it all down to the bottom of the plane. Rest assured, the Kitfox has one of the best safety records of all kit planes and in fact, I'm not sure there are any NTSB reports of structural failures(throughout all of Kitfox history) of any kind causing an accident.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 09-26-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Default Re: Do KF airplanes not have a main spar?

I wasn't questioning the design or mechanics of it, was just intrigued. Thanks. Very interesting.