Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member looking for information on 7 series

Default new member looking for information on 7 series

I have just joined and trying to learn more about the Kitfox. I live in Knoxville TN. I am interesred in the 7 series. not sure which engine yet. really like the looks of the radial. I was really serious about a Searey and went to Sun and Fun and got to fly the demo plane. It was nice but to close on gross wt for me. Open to suggestions.

Default Re: new member looking for information on 7 series

Welcome aboard awi55. The model 7 looks great with the radial engine.
    You'll love the take off performance but will give up some top end speed and the radial has a "fiddle factor" that just comes along with owning a radial. Not a huge problem but still there and should be considered when defining your Kitfox's mission.

The 7 Super Sport can handle the largest selection of engine choices available in the kit plane market. This can keep your costs down if unable to spring for the most popular choice which is the 912S 100 hp. Rotax.
    I've flown it with a couple different engines up front and it never fails to impress with its performance. It's a fantastic flying aircraft. You need to fly one soon. You'll be sold soon after strapping one on.
    If you have specific questions about the 7 series just post them. Lots of 7 owners on the forums that would be happy to get into the fine details for you. Have fun.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thank you, I am more interested in performance and range. The 914 should be the faster and less fuel burn. I would like to hear about the different performance from actual flying kitfox drivers who fly the radial, 912 100 hp and 914 turbo. Look forward to replays.

Lots of experience in 7 Super Sports with 912S 100 hp. Rotax.
    Most with the Rotax 100 hp. usually cruise easily in the 115-125 mph range with 5.7 gals. per hour fuel burn on average.
    Take off on hot day in Phoenix (105 degrees or more) 1,000 feet plus per minute climb rate.

The radial engine while heavier does real good on take off. Climbs seemed as good as the Rotax 100 hp. but cruise suffered some from the large flat plate area the radial presents. Maybe 108 to 110 mph cruise can be expected.

The Lycoming o-233 performs very well while again heavier than the 912 S it seems to climb very good but shows just a bit slower cruise speeds but not by much. Getting the right prop is very important.

I only flew one 3300 Jabiru 120 hp. equipped Kitfox model 5 and I was not impressed with it's performance. It was no match in climb or cruise for the 100 hp. Rotax. It sounded really nice though, what ever that's worth. It had some overheating issues that had to be addressed too.

I have no Viking or UL Power experience yet.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

It seems that most use then 912 (100 hp) and not the 914. Is this just cost for the turbo for not much gain. Sounds like 105 in Phonix with good numbers it would be hard to justify. Do you have the performance numbers comparing the two. Thanks

Smile Re: new member looking for information on 7 series

If you would like to see a SS7 that is at the covering stage,I live about 75 miles East of Knoxville.I'm using the Rotax 100 HP.Send me an e-mail if you would like to hook up.

My email is mcginnisrandy7@gmail.com thanks for the reply looking forward to seeing one ine the build stage.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryNo View Post
    If you would like to see a SS7 that is at the covering stage,I live about 75 miles East of Knoxville.I'm using the Rotax 100 HP.Send me an e-mail if you would like to hook up.
    If I had more time, I'd fly down from MI to see your plane. Just too darn busy right now....
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 building w/ Rotec R2800

I fly a series 7 with the 914 and fly with other many other pilots that have the series 7 with the 912 100hp engine.

There is a difference in complexity, performance and fuel burn.

There are many parameters that are monitored and used to control the performance of the 914. The brain for the 914 is the TCU and if there are any issues with it or the parameters it is monitoring then it will limit the engine performance in an attempt to keep the engine from destroying itself. The 914 is a verible furnace when you pour the coal to it temperature is another parameter you must keep an eye on.

You don't have that complexity and interface on the 912s.

But you get 15 additional hp at takeoff and full 100 hp to an elevation of about 16k feet. Doesn't sound like much but it really does translate into a lot of added performance. It will definetly out fly the 912s in all performance parameters that I can think of. I fly out of a 2800 foot elevation runway and I can get 1800fpm off the deck until my 5 minute limit is reached. Do I need that, well no but when I have high density altitude I have full hp and don't need to think twice about runway length or weight. That's performance that only comes with the 914. I also fly behind a constant speed and that really puts all of that hp into performance for the plane.

Of course if you pour the coal to it my fuel burn will easily chase 9 gph during that burst of speed. The engine comes with a 5 minute limit at max power. Most of my flying is between 5k and 9k feet and when dialed back to cruise (~ 128 mph) I can see around 5 to 5.5 gph. I can throttle back to a 100mph and burn just slightly over 4 gph. Haven't flown slower than that so haven't really seen any burn rate less than that. The service ceiling is around FL25 but of course you need O2 way before then.

The specs on the Series 7 with the 914 have its top speed at 160 mph up where the air is thin cruise is 150 mph. Can't do any of that with the 912s. I have never been there myself so I can not prove or disprove those numbers. Of course the 912s will get you up where the air is thin and you need O2 also but it won't do it at the same rate and of course you run out of hp as the elevation increases.

The cost to installing the 914 is (north of $12k) more than installing a 912s. More complexity in flying the plane than compared to the 912s probably a little higher burn rate on average than the 912s. Of course your mileage will vary depending on how you drive it.

Great input War Eagle. It's been years since I flew behind a 914.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear