Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Reading carburetor temperature.

Default Reading carburetor temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by HansLab View Post
    ... sunvisors in my IV ... http://www.leggott.flyer.co.uk/extras.html
    Browsing that site I found this, (near the bottom of the page):
    "LCD Temperature module - Can be used as a carb temp monitor if attached to the body of the carb or an OAT sensor if fitted elsewhere"
    I don't recall ever seeing a carb temp gauge on any (small) plane I flew, although I can see how it can help to assess the risk of carburetor icing. Is this common?

Roberto.
    Last edited by rwaltman; 08-28-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Default Re: Reading carburetor temperature.

There are some cheap displays that can warn of carb ice, I had one in my Zenith 601, but I have not seen on in a certified plane and I don’t’ think they are all that helpful (the cheap ones anyway)

I was thinking that real Carb ICE Detectors are not the same as Carb Temperature sensors, they use other ways to detect icing directly (or is it just icing conditions) . A Cold carb does not mean you will get ice, unless other conditions are right for it too, like high humidity, but I might be wrong.

Anyone have some insight on the matter?
    Roger

Most of the carb ice detectors are optical, looking for the presence of ice. They do not sense temperature.

Some sensors detect a change of feqency of vibration as ice forms on the probe
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Carburetor air temperature gauges used to be fairly common, for instance on Lycomings with Marvel Schebler carbs. A small probe (a B-4 or B-5 type) is inserted in a threaded port and sticks into the airstream in the throat of the carburetor near the throttle valve. The panel-mounted gauge reads temperature, usually with a yellow band that signifies the range where carb ice is most likely. The idea is to maintain at least 9 deg. F (5 C) above freezing temperature when in "icing conditions". I've seen and used them many times.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

We had one in our Cessna 175. It measured the air temperature at the throat of the carburetor. Worked great.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by mr bill View Post
    Most of the carb ice detectors are optical, looking for the presence of ice. They do not sense temperature.
    That's news to me. Some details here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...icedetect2.php

Roberto.