Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Sunglasses?

Default Best Sunglasses?

Not Kitfox specific, but being that there is a decent amount of light in the cockpit because of the Lexan skylight what do you find works the best for protecting your eyes? Lately there are so many sunglass options out there I don't know what to get. Would want something that fits well with headsets also... and with a decent price ~$100

Default Re: Best Sunglasses?

In my opinion in that price range Oakley's may be your best bet. They may look a little too modern for some people but the thick arms block out light from coming in behind your lense. The replacement lenses for them too are usually under $50 if they get scratched up. Some Oakley's get way up in price though so shop around for last years model.

Examples might be:

My fiance has several pair of good glasses but she always wears Oakley's on the job.

Esser,
    I've always questioned the thick arms thinking my headset earpieces would not seal tight around them like they do over wire arms thus letting noise into my ears. Consequently I've stayed away from thick armed glasses. Do you have experience with this issue, and if so, what is your real life experience?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    I've always questioned the thick arms thinking my headset earpieces would not seal tight around them like they do over wire arms thus letting noise into my ears.
    Use those, or improvise something similar. It is not very clear in the picture - the "cushions" have a hole through which the glasses arms are inserted, and they provide a good seal around them.

http://www.davidclark.com/store/Prod...x?productID=62

Roberto.

Oooooo Kkkkkk. That ought to be quite a joy lining all that rigging up when putting on the ol' headset. Think I'll just stay with wire arms.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Not sure if this applies but I know I need bifocals and prefer progressive lenses. Readingglasses.com has a good selection of these, thin wire temples, good quality.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    Esser,
    I've always questioned the thick arms thinking my headset earpieces would not seal tight around them like they do over wire arms thus letting noise into my ears. Consequently I've stayed away from thick armed glasses. Do you have experience with this issue, and if so, what is your real life experience?
    Hey Steve. It may be a matter of personal preference. I don't find the thick arms to be uncomfortable or to let in much noise if any. You may just need to go to the dollar store and find something with thick arms and give it a test.

Also, my next headset is going to be the Seinheisser. It has special softer foam where the sunglasses protrude into the headset and I found them much better than conventional when I tried them at Oshkosh. Like all ANR headsets though the price tag is up there so I am waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    ... I need bifocals and prefer progressive lenses.
    Ditto. For sunglasses I use "fitovers" on top of my regular glasses:
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___89010
    (Check the fly-in pic where I'm seating next to CDE2FLY)

Roberto.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe it's just my head, but thicker ear pieces definitely hurt the tops of my ears with headsets on.

Anyone have experience with Randolphs? About $100. Currently has and has had military contracts.

http://www.randolphusa.com/

No one mentioned it yet, but I have always understood that for flying, non polarized are recommended. Is this still the case?
    Lowell