Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Sunglasses?

Default Re: Best Sunglasses?

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    ...for flying, non polarized are recommended. Is this still the case?
    Depends on your instruments. Some LCD displays are not readable at certain angles when using polarized glasses.
    For example, part of the display on my Casio watch becomes invisible when using my sunglasses. On the other hand, I had no trouble seeing the radio and EMS displays on the Eurofox I flew recently.
    My Kitfox panel is all "old school", so I don't have that problem yet.

Roberto.

Oh but this item IS Kitfox-specific: I build sunvisors in my IV

http://www.leggott.flyer.co.uk/extras.html#Sun%20Visors

Quote Originally Posted by rwaltman View Post
    [non polarized glasses are recommended] Depends on your instruments
    A few polarizing snippets from rec.aviation.soaring

Roberto.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"I installed the PowerFlarm on the glare shield at 10-15 degrees to the horizontal. That was a mistake ... Almost invisible using polarized sunglasses"

"I often do [use polarized sunglasses] - Serengetis. Have to do the 45 deg head tilt to see the LCD info on the Westerboer."

"... flew... with a borrowed 302. [Cambridge 302 vario/flight recorder] ... I liked it but the display blacks out with my polarized sunglasses and the only way to read it was lifting them or tilting my head."

"Polarized sunglasses have other problems, sometimes creating dark zones in Perspex canopies... You have to turn your head one way for one instrument, the other way for the other."

"If you want reflections on the inside of your canopy to block your view of the sky, use unpolarized. If you want black spots on the inside of your canopy to block your view of the sky, use polarized."

"I use polarized prescription sun glasses. They help me see features such as haze domes, darker areas of cloud bases, etc. They also reduce eye fatigue on long flights. I can clearly see all the screens my 302, 303, Becker radio and transponder and the Oudie2. However, I was very disappointed to discover that my new PowerFLARM screen (portable) is only visible if I tilt my head more than 60 degrees. ... It seems silly to be flying around with such a good safety device but not being able to see it."

"I use polarized lenses 100% of the time when flying. in addition to eliminating glare, they significantly darken the sky without darkening my view of gliders. This means I have a higher contrast ratio and can see traffic more easily.... So far I don't have a problem with instruments going black..."

"...some cheaper polarized sunglasses may suffer from poor aliment of the polarizers, so you'll see different darkening in each eye as you rotate say an PDA/PNA screen or even look at different parts of the sky"

"Besides the problems with LCD instrument screens, polarized sun glasses are said to reduce the visibility of other aircraft because they reduce the "glare" off the surface of the other traffic. For that reason, polarized glasses may reduce your situational awareness and increase your possibility of mid-air collision."

"There absolutely is a standard. [for display polarization] Its to not polarize aircraft instruments so they conflict with polarized sunglasses--which are all polarized in the same direction to cut down on reflection off water/road surfaces etc. Cambridge simply had a batch of 302s where the glass was installed incorrectly."

"I went to my optometrist and said that I wanted non-polarized lenses. She said "are you a pilot?". I have a 302 that's polarized one way, and a Filser radio that's 90 degrees different. There's only one fix for this."

The recommendation I referred to - non polarized - was from discussions back in the day Loooong before LCD displays.
    Lowell

I've been using the Randolph or the similar American optical for years . I buy just the frames with no lenses and have my prescription installed . Both brands can be had with either the bayonet or thin wire temple things . Also the ray bans work good also with headsets . Naturally my kid thinks they are old fashioned since they don't look like the okleys . Guess I became hooked on them in the military , was easy to do when they were free . I have a pair of non polarized in the plane and polarized in the car.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Just found this...

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pil...sunglasses.pdf

"POLARIZATION. Polarized lenses are not recommended
    for use in the aviation environment. While useful for blocking
    reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or
    snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of
    instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters. Polarized lenses
    may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen
    by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the
    sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another
    aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot
    has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation."

Interesting.

No one mentioned it yet, but I have always understood that for flying, non polarized are recommended. Is this still the case?
    Lowell
    Probably more now than ever. I remember the case against polarized was the blotchy rainbow effect you would get when looking through plexiglass windshields. Then, when the first digital readouts started appearing on nav/coms polarized glasses would blank the frequency readouts when you tilted your head slightly.

Now, LCD screens are on almost everything from radios to tachs. I have relegated my polarized sunglasses to the fishing tack box where they still do a great job of looking through the glare for that rising trout.

My favorite sunglasses are a no-name pair I got at Oshkosh. They have graduated tint with two little reading glasses inserts at the bottom. I can read the chart, see the panel and don't have to squint when looking down the runway. I think they were about $40.

The stick on reading glass lenses would convert a standard pair very nicely.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

The recommendation I referred to - non polarized - was from discussions back in the day Loooong before LCD displays.
    Lowell
    You're right, Lowell. Regardless of the effect with certain displays on modern electronic devices, sometimes a polarizing effect is produced by the plastic used for windshields in aircraft. Different types & brands of acrylics or polycarbonates can have different effects.It can also be produced (the polarization) by tiny scratches in the plastic surface. If the polarizing effect (if any) is produced tangentially to the orientation of that being created by your sunglasses you can have a problem with blanked-out areas, "dead spots", etc. Most pilots I talk to nowdays aren't aware of this. It may be fairly rare, but can definitely happen. Take a couple of polarized lenses & place one in front of the other, then rotate it. You can see the effect as the view turns dark & blanks out. Maybe it just happens with us "older guys" (speaking only for myself now).

Polarized lenses are great for fly-fishing, but I don't personally use them in an airplane. I guess you need to test your particular set-up. Or just be sure, and use regular lenses.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I have a pair of polarized Rx sunglasses that I use. I originally bought them for motorcycling. I've found that I can't see my iPhone screen or sometimes other digital screens with them (without doing the 1/4 head turn trick).

When I replace them, it won't be with polarized lenses any more. I'm not a fisherman so there is no need for polarized lenses to me.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

So just a touch of current experience to add. As always try it yourself as your results may vary.

The issue with Polarized lenses is very dependent to each situation. In the case of the Kitfox, I fly with Polarized lenses and do not have any dark spots on front, side or top windscreeens. I have multiple LCD's and they are all fine (unless you turn your head 90deg to the right, then they go black!) which is not really an actual problem. I also had no problems in my RV9A with the same glasses.

Now, put the same lenses in my motorcycle helmet, drop down the visor and the world is rainbows and dark spots...
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com