Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cover and Paint Estimate for Model IV-1200

Default Cover and Paint Estimate for Model IV-1200

I am trying to get an estimate of materials for covering my Model IV-1200. The previous two owners of the kit did a pretty nice job on both the workmanship, and also keeping everything together. <<I even have all of the seriously outdated Poly Brush and Poly Spray to dispose of! It's only 19 years old! Hey, it'll work, right! Ok bad joke...>>

I am referencing the current version of the Poly-Fiber Aircraft Coatings manual (Revision 21), my construction manual from 1993, and what I am seeing in the current Cover Kit in the Catalog. (I am ignoring the inspection rings, plates, etc, as that is a given.)

My questions are:
    a) What did YOU actually use in Poly-Brush, Poly Spray, Reducer, and Poly-Tone finish paint in covering your Model IV-1200? (I will admit that I am taken back by the estimates in the Poly-Fiber manual for a Kitfox! 8.5 gal of Poly-Brush, 9.25 Gal of Poly-Spray, 5 gal of Reducer??!! Our 1993 kits came with 2 gallons of P-Brush and P-Spray... a huge difference in quantity. Why the HUGE difference in quantities specified?

b) In my covering kit from 1993, the Fabric is 1.8oz Light, Dacron, 32 yards. The roll is NOT opened. I see that the current kit supplies the 2.7 oz Medium fabric. Should I go to the Medium weight fabric and spend the additional $419, or still use the un-opened light weight fabric? And most importantly, "Why?"

c) I recognize that some paint schemes create a lot of un-used finish cover paint, but what should a straight-forward finish cover paint job require? The manual says about 8.5 gal of Poly Tone and 2.25 gal of Reducer.... (this seems excessive to me...) I realize there is probably a lot of carrier solvent that will be evaporated off, but how thick is the final thickness going to be at this application rate?! At about $88 per gallon, the cost of just the Poly Tone is about $748... pricey mistake of buying too much here!

Thank you!
    Grover

The Poly-Fiber covering material estimates are in Revision 21:
    Page 152 for the Avid/Kitfox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GWright6970; 08-22-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Default Re: Cover and Paint Estimate for Model IV-1200

I'll take a stab at this one. I have comploeted two Model IVs of the vintaqe you mention - the first one was a 1993 and the second a 1992 previously owned. I used the light 1.8 oz. fabric on both. The reason for using it on the first kit is because that is what came with all the early kits. The reason I used it on the second kit is because I had absolutely no issues with it on the first one in 900 hours and nine years. Consider, though, that with the exception of an annual week long trip to the back country and several annual weekend trips to Airzona it was always hangared. Regarding the volume of the chemicals - I suspect a real overkill with Polyfiber's estimates. I do Know, that this time when painting, I was astounded when a friend told me to expect to pay at least $1000 for the finish coats. Most of that cost is a result of our friend the EPA trying to help us live 150 years. Regarding colors: Yellows and Reds and I expect most light colors like to have a base coat of white. Otherwise, the silver of the Polyspray will show through as a grey tone. This time, I am mostly yellow so I have two coats everywhere of white, then the yellow. There are several whites so make sure you stick with one only. I found that white Aerothane was not that much more expensive than white Polytone for the base coat so I went with Aerothane throughout.

My guess is that I used about two gallons of Polybrush and two gallons of Polyspray and maybe a gallon of reducer. Then maybe two quarts of Polytack - then again, I have about a quart left over. Aircraft Spruce will ship ground to you in about three days, So my advice would be to Buy a gallon and then some more when the time comes you need more. I am in Cameron Park so we are fairly close neighbors.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lowell,
    THANK YOU! I love REALITY checks!

I have flown into your airport and taxied down your neighbors "driveway" and street area several times several years back. We almost moved there once! (No joke... came pretty close to leaving Vacaville! We just couldn't do it. We do like it here, living outside the city limits on 2.5 acres.

Your experience of using about two gallons of Polybrush and two gallons of Polyspray and maybe a gallon of reducer, is a FAR cry from 8.5 gal of Polybrush, 9.25 gallons of Poly spray, and 5.25 gallons of reducer!

About how many gallons of white and yellow Aerothane, and reducer do you think it took you to do your avatar aircraft? (BTW, excellent job! I really like it!)

Since I have the light weight fabric, would you think it would be alright to use it? Again, the roll is un-opened, and looks to be perfect condition. (Like you, I will also have this aircraft hangared.)

Grover

How many gallons of Aerothane? I don't recall. I should have put it in my notes, but My guess is that I probably two gallons of each. I have maybe three of four ounces of the yellow left. The white is gone. Again, I would recommend buying in reasonable quantities and order more if needed. There is always the hasmat shipping fees, but it pales with having a gallon left over, or two gallons left over - at over $260 a gallon. I reduced the Aerothane more than recommended because I found it flowed a bit better with less orange peel if it was a bit thinner and I applied a couple more, but lighter coats.
    Lowell

Lowell,
    Again, THANK YOU! This helps me out A LOT!!

I also like your approach on getting a base number of gallons, with the option of getting more in a few days with UPS. That works for me.

Cheers,
    Grover

Lowell,

What size are those tires. I'm thinking about going with the W62 wheels but I like the look of your wheel and tire setup.
    Bryon Stewart
    KF IV-1200
    Building