Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Winged

Talking Winged

Picked up a pair of speedster wings this weekend. These are interesting in that the flapperons are one bay short - the last two hinges on the outer end of the flapperons are only one bay apart rather than two.

Spars are interesting too. They are round on the outside, just slightly oval on the inside. Say .058 on the side and over .10 top and bottom. Also there is a vertical member in the center that is part of the extrusion. Does anyone know more about these spars?

So we'll see how fast an HKS 700e can put a KF 4 speedster if I fair every thing in.

Cheers,

Mark
    Building a KF IV Classic

Default Re: Winged

Mark, I am curious also. I recall that the early kitfoxes - before the Model IV had a full length "I beam" extruded inside the length of the spar. I am wondering if the wings you have were built using the early spars with Riblet ribs that came with the later designs.
    Lowell

Good to have wings... were the wings not perhaps shortened by a previous owner, thus the strange placement of the flaperon attachment brackets towards the wingtip?

Did you buy from Jerry Bell?
    Tiaan Hafele

Kitfox Model 3 - Flying, Rotax 618
    Kitfox Model IV - Restoring, Rotax 912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmofly View Post
    Good to have wings... were the wings not perhaps shortened by a previous owner, thus the strange placement of the flaperon attachment brackets towards the wingtip?

Did you buy from Jerry Bell?
    Yes, I did buy from Jerry.

No, the flaperon was not modified, it was built that way. It looks normal, only difference is that spacing. Since the wings are uncovered I'm going to add the metal and balsa reinforcement to the very last rib and match drill for the last flaperon hanger. That way if I have to replace with a modern flaperon for what ever reason in the future the attachment will already be there.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Mark, I am curious also. I recall that the early kitfoxes - before the Model IV had a full length "I beam" extruded inside the length of the spar. I am wondering if the wings you have were built using the early spars with Riblet ribs that came with the later designs.
    Lowell
    Was the change due to cost? These look very strong. My KF III wings have the thinner wall tubing with an insert around the strut bracket.

Bede always claimed that the sidewalls of a tubular spar needed to be only half the thickness of the top and bottom. Add that the vertical member in the center to resist buckling and these should be very strong. Also the wings are shorter so less moment at the attach points.

Another plus is these wings are from out West. So while old I don't see any signs of corrosion even on a couple of the steel parts that were not very well protected.
    Building a KF IV Classic