Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912S Hot Starts

Default 912S Hot Starts

When we have hot weather my 912S acts flooded when I try to restart it hot. The rest of the year it starts like a car. Is there something I should be doing different?

If I start right back up or wait an hour it starts fine. I am thinking it is a heat soak issue, so I immediately open oil door after shut down to disapate heat.

It always starts, but it is hard. Any ideas?

Default Re: 912S Hot Starts

What fuel are you running? Do you have a return line back to tank?

Sounds like vapor lock to me.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Super Unleaded
    Return line from where to where?

The latest and greatest installation information from Rotax says that they want a return line in the fuel system back to the tank. The way this is done is from the area of the "T" where the supply splits to go to the carbs, there is placed an orifice (ΓΈ .014") and a fuel line back to the fuel tank (header).

This return line allows for a constant circulation of fuel keeping the fuel in the lines cooler and preventing vapor lock.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Wonder why the return line has to go all the way back to the header? Seems that going back before the gasolator would be far enough besides how much warm gas can there be thru a .014 orifice ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I would imagine it is as much pressure release as fuel flow. I agree that is a small opening.

I would also think they say tank because not every install has a gascolator.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by cap01 View Post
    Wonder why the return line has to go all the way back to the header? Seems that going back before the gasolator would be far enough besides how much warm gas can there be thru a .014 orifice ?
    I would imagine it would be to cool the fuel if it is to prevent vapour lock. When talking to Robert Helms of UL Power he told me that my header would haev to be modified to 3 gallons to provide adequate fuel cooling.

i agree with the pressure relief . i dont have the return on my engine and i will see fuel pressure well over 4 lbs after shutdown for a considerable amout of time .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I will add a data point that I have a return line (to the header tank) and have had no issue hot starting.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I had the same symptom a couple summers ago. There were multiple possibilities but the fact of the final fix was the vibration isolators on the engine mounts. Get a little vibration going and ariate the fuel in the bowls and bingo, you have what looks like a hot start. If there is fuel coming out of the bowl vents, I might take a real good look at the rubber in the engine mounts. While the engine is off for the mount replacement, you can modify the firewall with an access door to the starter. It lets you remove, replace the starter without taking off the engine. I did it last week to replace a leaking o ring. Nice and fast, no engine removal required. It was made to be done with a leatherman and a long screwdriver. All good.
    Hope that helps.