Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Routing of Fuel Line and Wiring Through Cockpit

Default Routing of Fuel Line and Wiring Through Cockpit

Anyone have any suggestions and/or pictures for routing of the fuel line and wiring under the and through the cockpit floor area.

I am especially interested in methods of routing through/around the control area. I want to be sure I avoid chafing and pinch points.

Default Re: Routing of Fuel Line and Wiring Through Cockpit

I am surprised no one has responded to your question. I have built two Model IVs and helped with the finish of a Series V. The former had no center console and the V did. This is what I have found. The console can get a bit crowded especially at the aft end where everything including the control tubing for the aileron and flap functions of the flaperons, and fuel line. With the V it was a challenge as forward of the bulkhead the only structure available to secure things to is the inner wall of the console and access is very poor.

The wiring that needs to go aft of the foot well includes aft position lights, strobe, fuel pump if used and antenna wires. Also wiring for wing tip lights and wing tip strobes. Then if you will mount radio jacks near the hat rack, those too. and maybe other things that don't come up in my memory. I ran all those wires on both models.

A suggestion: run the fuel lines through the console - no brainer on the newer models as that is where the fuel valve is. Then, I would run all wiring to the side of the panel and down the door posts (both sides as appropriate), then under the door to behind the seat where they could be run in any direction as needed as the fuselage tubing tends to flair from there. I also ran the antenna cables that way, but separated them from the bundles under the door (bundles near the door post and cables near the fuselage bottom). This way, chafing can be managed and interference with the flaperon controls will be a non issue. To secure the bundles running down the door post and to add a cosmetic touch, I took some eighth inch rod and bent it into a long U and threaded the ends (6-32, I believe. These were glued to the door post with Hysol with the threaded ends extendng out. An aluminum piece was formed in sort of a long Lazy U shape with holes drilled to accept the protruding threaded rod and secured with #6 nuts. The bundles are pretty much covered by the painted aluminum covers. If you are putting in kick panels - much easier. I used lacing tape to secure the wiring aft of the seat as it can be threaded under the fabric with minimal affect on the finished fabric surface.

Other opinions may vary.
    Lowell

My model IV doesn't have a console but I ran every thing under the seat up the center except the antennas . The antenna coax ran up the sides under the doors, xponder the right side and the VHF the left side . The wire bundle consisted of power for nav lites , strobe , beacon , intercom, low header tank quanity,electric pump and power for anr headset . I would suggest running an extra wire or two in the bundle and dead end cap them just in case you need to add some thing later
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

My model IV doesn't have a console either (however, I build me one, will send some pictures later) and I run everything through the console except the antennas. The antenna coax ran up the sides under the doors, xponder is planned on the right side and the VHF is momentarely on the left side, as is the fuel line. Fuel runs from the header tank to the left, across the side under the left door, close in front of the FW to the right side of the FW (I bought me a project, and the gascolator was already beuatifully build-in)

Hope you can imagine?
    Greets,
    HL

One more thing to add to the discussion- fuel lines should be routed under adjacent electrical wires. The simple reason why- if you're unlucky enough to have a fuel leak then at least gravity will make it drip away from the wire (possible ignition source).

I can't remember if this is in the factory build manual, AC43.13, one of the Bingelis books, or... where, but it's good practice and bears repeating

I am rebuilding a KF 3 and my fuelline was routed under the ddors(from the headertank)
    My idea was to route the fuelline under the floorboard in the middle from the header to the fuelvalve.
    Wouldt this be a problem ,under the floorboard I mean?

Eric

On my III the floorboards are resting on the fuselage tubes with no clearance underneath to route anything. I don't have a center console so the fuel line and wiring runs under the doors.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med