Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rudder Pivot Bolts

Default Rudder Pivot Bolts

How do I tighten to the proper torque, or even tighten them at all, thru the small cutouts specified in the manual? I have the speedster tail on my SS7. I have just spent 3 hours getting the pivot bolts in and the nuts started a few turns.

Is there some neat trick, or maybe a special tool, or am I stuck enlarging the cutouts by quite a bit in order to get a small wrench in and able to make 1/8 turn? The cutouts will be ugly. Is there a good way to cover them up?

Jim

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Rudder Pivot Bolts

Its been awhile since I tightened those nuts, if my memory serves me well I needed open end wrenches with a 45 degree angle on the head to make things work. I know after purchasing some different wrenches the task was not that difficult, at first I thought it would be impossible with the standard wrenches I was trying to use. hope this helps
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Is there some neat trick, or maybe a special tool, or am I stuck enlarging the cutouts by quite a bit in order to get a small wrench in and able to make 1/8 turn? The cutouts will be ugly. Is there a good way to cover them up?

Jim
    Jim,
    My take on the cover up part is - after paint probably not. I made cover plates for my home brew gap closure on my Model IV, but it involved bonding a joggle behind the fiberglass to support the plate and threaded inserts bonded inside to secure the plates. Wrenches - I have made/modified several wrenches to do such things as tighten the nut behind the throttle, hold the fitting on the heater core to tighten the hose fittings and find the bolt heads under the spinner bulkhead, etc. It does help to have a welder.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the help.
    I drastically modified a couple of open end wrenches by grinding notches into the handle so I could get a little more swing on them. Then by working two wrenches at a time (top & bottom) I was able to get 1/16 turn at a time. After about an hour per bolt I finally got them tightened. No way I could use a torque wrench, so I just got a hand feel for the proper torque on a practice bolt and used my calibrated feel on the rudder bolts. Hope that is OK.

Jim

I havent done this yet, but it sounds like a job for a crows foot.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I don't think there is room for a crowfoot, modified or special open end wrenches,( i believe with 45 degree angle head) and patience is what it takes.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Definitely no room for a crows foot.

Jim

Go to the search menu and type in " I almost lost my mind today" some good reading on this topic.

I think a Craftsman Gearwrench might work.

I used a craftsman ratcheting box end wrench, did the job in 10 min per bolt.