Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rudder Pivot Bolts

Default Re: Rudder Pivot Bolts

I would hesitate in covering them as I had one break. It appeared the metal on the bolt was crystalized. Lasted about 500 hours. Not supposed to be but possibly a 3rd world knockoff part. At any rate I had to replace the bolt and looking at them has become a definite part of my preflight.
    Chuck

Default Re: Rudder Pivot Bolts

Chuck, I appreciate the response. I agree that all hinge fasteners should be part of the preflight. I can see the bolts, nuts and especially the Torque Seal by swinging the ruddder to the left and looking in through the cut out on the leading edge "D" fairing. I do, however rely on a gooseneck flashlight to see inside. The same on the hinge pins on the elevator.
    Lowell

Default Re: Rudder Pivot Bolts - a suggestion

I wanted to make the cutouts in my fairing as small as is consistent with access to install and tighten the hardware. I found a useful tool for installing the bolts in tight slots. The tool is a medical artery forceps. The one I bought I found on Amazon. It is called a "DDP Hemostat Tuffier Artery Forceps." The url for it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756GWDQD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It cost under $10 and does a good job of holding the bolt using the ratcheting action of the forceps while I'm maneuvering it into position. The tool is also strong enough to allow sufficient force to be applied to work the bolt down into its hole. Pictures attached, though I could not figure out how to rotate the one showing the tool in use on the rudder to make it upright.
    Attached Images Attached Images