Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bush Gear

Default Re: Bush Gear

TJ,
    I had thought about the Goodyear tires but as i recall they were too heavy and exspensive. The Nanco 21inch tires are much lighter. They may not look quite as "cool" but,they have worn well and as my plane is a little heavy with the BRS chute and all I am trying to keep the weight down. And besides,I am a short guy. I would need a ladder to get into my plane and what a pain it would be to "burp" the engine,check the oil and gas. I am almost on my toes now to remove the gas caps with out a ladder !
    Dick

Kitfox Aircraft also carries a great bush gear setup. Check it out in there on-line parts catalog.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/Parts_Catalog.htm

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

After Lowell first concieved this gear he sent me drawings and that really stirred the juices. The original gear always looked out of place to me. They were so narrow and looked somewhat out of place with the rest of the aircraft (great for towing/trailering though I would imagine)
    I asked Lowell to please make me one. At that time he only had a test gear on another aircraft. His gear uses the original axles,wheels and brakes. I found out later,after I had already ordered the gear that Kitfox also had a "bush " gear but at the time it was offered only with different axles,brakes and wheels(albeit stronger) which would add another $800 to the purchase price. I believe Kitfox now offers this gear with the original wheels,etc.
    I am not flying in the bush down here in Florida (If I did I would probably get stuck in the mud and an alligator would eat me) but was looking for the look of a classic such as a Monocoupe which I used to fly. My bungees were up for replacement and I wasn't looking forward to that so this was a great opportunity to upgrade. Now when Lowell offered those beautiful fairings for the gear,that was the clincher !
    I now have the looks I want,better tracking on the ground and believe it or not, much greater stability on approach. I am sure glad I did it !!!!
    Dick

Ahhh nuts I should have clarified something before I posted.I was told Kitfox offered larger axles,wheels and tires because guys are actually flying off airport alot so the larger wheels etc are needed. Big rocks,etc. Down here you just have to watch out for the oil slicks if you land on a beach ! (find me a rock)
    I wouldn't think the actual gear itself is any stronger then what I have. Mine is quite stout !

Now that's a bush gear...courtesy of Kitfox Aircraft.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

Mark,
    Thanks for posting ! That is absolutely drop dead gorgious !!!! Thanks John and Debbie. You guys have done it right ! I am slobering all over my keyboard. Look forward to reading about it.
    Dick

Cool Re: Bush Gear

Tried to call them, seems out of business! Anyone know where to get this gear?

HighWing LLC is no more. I have helped a few friends with gear from time to time, but time moves on and real life changes have stepped in and the time is just not there anymore. I have talked to some that might be interested in continuing with the tooling I could provide, but nothing so far.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Yes... Kitfox Aircraft.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/alb...pictureid=6010

AV Weld also makes Kitfox gear...
    Its 2' wider than the standard bungee gear and an inch or so taller. I have 54" from prop hub center to ground when level with the Desser 22" tires.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF