Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

#30 - ø.1285"
    1/8 - ø.125"

Believe it or not, that ø.0035" does make quite a difference.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Good to know. I was always under the impression they were the same size. You really do learn something everyday. Any advice for the 1/8th stainless steel rivets that wont fit in the #30 holes I drilled? It is close but not close enough.

If you've got a drill gauge you could see what hole the rivet fits in to see what size the rivet is and what drill is required . Or even mic the rivet . They don't use some wird size metric rivets in Canada , do they ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Your stainless steel rivet will always fit the #30 hole with bit of a push, unless something moved, or you have the wrong size bit (like Chinese bits can be) or your rivets are out of spec (or the wrong rivets). Double check your SS rivets, they come in different strengths, and there is really quite a variation, especially with respect to sheer. I found the supplied SS rivets to be too long for my model-4s push rod fittings, so I special ordered, and not from the usual aircraft sources as they carry only a limited selection of lengths (Jay-Cee Sales - RivetsOnline.com http://www.rivetsonline.com/ )

Hope this helps
    Roger

Esser,
    Get yourself a copy of FAA AC43.13:
    http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentid/99861

While this is not easy reading it does answer many potential questions.

I have held a A&P certificate since the late '80s and this book holds a prominent position on my shop bookshelf. It covers everything from welding to electrical and just about everything one could ask. I would think that the McBeans would include a copy with every kit to save on tech questions that could be answered with a AC43.13 reference. If you want the holy grail of general repairmaintence manuals try to source TM 55-1500-204-25/1 it is the document that AC 43.13 is sourced from, without editing.
    These manuals will fill in many gaps in the Manufacturers manuals.
    eric
    Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 08-27-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Good to know. I was always under the impression they were the same size. You really do learn something everyday. Any advice for the 1/8th stainless steel rivets that wont fit in the #30 holes I drilled? It is close but not close enough.
    Hey,
    Get a bunch of clecos, fill all the holes with clecos, clean out the hole you want to rivet with a #30 drill, deburr, and repeat for the rest of the holes. the clecos will simulate a rivet and will allow you to disassemble for cleaning out of shavings and deburring. After all the holes are filled with clecos go back and rivet one at a time.Fabrication is 50% technical and 50% technique.
    Here is one of my non aviation projects using aluminum, solid rivets and some welding:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...at-delete.html
    eric
    Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 08-27-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think either maybe the #30 bits were packaged wrong or the rivets are out of spec. The holes drilled are #30 and the rivets dont fit in them. It is not that the bracket is out of alignment. It wont even fit in the holes in the bracket with out the aluminum. All the holes were back drilled using clamps and clecos as I went. Either way putting the rivets in a drill gauge is a good idea.

I am back to work for 15 days so this will have to wait a couple weeks. I will keep you updated when I get back at er

As always I really appreciate all the input. Thanks for the links too. I will have to check out that book.

Well I am flying home from work tomorrow so I should be getting the centre console fixed up on Wednesday.

I have been emailing Robert Helms back and forth and I thought I would pass these drawings on for you. These are for the UL520iS that I am 90% is going into the plane. My fiance is saying that she wants the 200 hp so I better make her happy.

The engine is lighter than an IO-240 and shorter than a O-235 so I think she will fit in with C of G. This is one of the things I wanted to talk to John about at Oshkosh but I wasn't able to make it. The only concern I have is, is the rudder effective enough for all the p-factor? What do you guys think?

Here are the drawings:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Esser; 04-07-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Has Kitfox Aircraft come out with a new model I'm not aware of?

200 hp. on a Kitfox? I would call that uncharted territory.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Has Kitfox Aircraft come out with a new model I'm not aware of?

200 hp. on a Kitfox? I would call that uncharted territory.
    I guess you could call it uncharted territory but if there is no weight penalty why shouldn't it be done? The S1 Pitts was designed for 90hp and the second builder upped it to 170.

Just aircraft has a UL520i that makes 180hp arriving in a couple weeks that they are putting into their Highlander. Why shouldn't a Kitfox keep up with the competition? It's not that I want to go fast. But I think when I put floats on it will be beneficial as well as high density altitude. It will be a similar size, power, and weight ratio as a 180hp Citabria.

I realize the safety concerns and what not but when I asked John about the engine his only concern that was expressed in his email was about a new engine that hasn't been tested. I have some really good people that are going to back me up on the development and testing of this.

Also like I said. 90%...I'm not gonna be stubborn if it turns into a bad idea.
    Last edited by Esser; 09-10-2012 at 06:32 PM.