Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

Didn't get up to too much today...

Tanks getting ready for a rinse. Everything came out looking good except some rust as I mentioned in the other thread.

False ribs on. Top and Bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Got the reinforcing brackets complete on one wing. A kitfox builder who has gone past this point will notice something different here...

Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.

So I am trying to attach the butt ribs and when I get the 1/16th spacing on the top of the ribs the bottom is out 3/16". I measured top and bottom of my Number 1 rib and the measurements are equal and this happened to both sides of the plane. So I dont know if the number 3 rib was a little cocked and thats why my measurement is off? Or maybe the butt rib tabs are bent.

I have added a picture so you can see but either way I think that I need to either, A) Sand the flange on the top of the number on rib until I can get the spacing to be even top or bottom. B) Bend the tabs that attach the butt rib until the spacing is even.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Josh,
    set the butt rib to the number one rib and the tabs on the fuselage need to be bent up to the butt ribs... Basically tweak the tabs to work match the butt rib.

There is also some rust remover you can get at a NAPA (auto parts) store. It's like a gel solution...

The corrosion is not un-common if the cap was sealed with tape.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thanks John,

After some rainy weather I had enough blue sky to unfold the wings and finish up the butt ribs. All I have to say to builders that are coming up on this is to verify that your brackets are all flush with the butt rib after you find your spacing. I needed a bit of tweaking but once I knew what to look for it went a lot smoother.

My photobucket account isn't working tonight for some reason so there are no pictures sorry!

Next up is installing the wing tanks but I am waiting on some Dow 739 form Kitfox which I don't think I will get until every one is back from Oshkosh.

Until then I will add the fittings to the tanks and dry fit everything up.

Question: For those of you who chose to prime your spars inside and out, at wait point of he build did you do it? I will be adding the composite leading edge soon and I want to have everything primed but I also figure that I will still bond the extrusion pieces in.

What are you thoughts?

I primed the inside of the spars right after the extrusions were riveted (not bonded) in. Do not prime the outside at this point because you don't want primer to interfere with bonding the ribs to the spars. You must prime the outside only after all ribs and drag braces, tanks, leading edges are bonded on.

Jim

Thanks for the info, I figure I will prime when everything but the leading edge and the tips are on.

Here is a complete butt rib:

Sealing the threads. The vent line has quite the angle to it. Is everybody's like that? Or did the hoe not get drilled straight accidentally?

Jury Strut brackets bonded.

Jury Strut

This week I will pick away at getting the tanks in. I only have one more weekend before I move to our real house. The last 8 months have been a rental while we waited for our house in Ontario to sell so it will be nice to settle into my real garage.
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Esser,
    I hope that picture of you tank fittings was not final. I believe the main fuel pickup fitting should be pointing aft, not down.

Jim

I was wondering about that. Most of the pictures in the manual didn't even have that fitting on the tank and the one that did was not very clear. I will move it. Anything I need to know about this sealant to remove?

OK Quick help here.

The manual says to cut the webbing away from the number one rib to facilitate the rotation of the 90 deg fitting on the tank. My fitting isn't near to the webbing but it's more on the inside. Do I cut the cap instead of the webbing? Wont that end up getting covered in fabric?

Spacing.

Fitting on outboard side of number one rib

outboard spacing.
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 12:34 PM.