Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Altitude is insurance….. Insurance quote wanted.

Default Altitude is insurance….. Insurance quote wanted.

Howdy all;
    If you have some practical experience gliding a Kitfox after a loss of power (full loss, power not even at idle) for real or just for fun, I want to know (for my own pilot manual) what kind of kitfox was it, how high AGL were you and how far did you glide.
    Oh, and also how the landing went, if you wish to say.
    Thanks in advance !!!!
    Roger

Default Re: Altitude is insurance….. Insurance quote wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerh12 View Post
    If you have some practical experience gliding a Kitfox after a loss of power...

Maybe you can contact the authors of these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3AMxWozzXg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm1iqcn8nFM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xuR3X6ZN_E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SPI_3EGK5k

Roberto.

I take my model 3 with a 912 in it up to about 3000 msl I slow down to almost stall than I simulate taking off at a high a.o.a than shut the motor completely off. The plane glides nice, it is weird seeing the prop not spining. I lose about 500 ft a min at 60 mph, at that speed and situation i make very gradual turns with one eye glued to the A.S.I. landing dead stick is different due to lack of prop wash over the elevator.

These are some good videos, but I wish I could see the vertical speed indicators durring the simulated engine out phase.

Anyone else have some numbers on lossed altitude rate in a dead stick glide?

Thanks
    Roger

About 2 1/2 years ago in my Series 5 912ULS I had a total engine failure due to an oil distribution problem. I was at 1100 feet AGL, 4 miles west from my airport. Had been sight seeing along a river. I just happen to be passing a 90 acre soy bean field on my left. After I realized what happened I did a normal short downwind, base, and final, sinking at about 500 fpm. Plane flew normal. All my landings were power at idle abeam the numbers so noting was really different except go around was not an option. On short final I guess the view changed a little and I though I might overshoot, so did an agressive slip, straigtend out and perfect landing. No damage, no injuries. As it turned out I stopped in the middle of the field and eventually had to push the plane a long ways out to a road in a muddle field. Thinking I survived this and then have a heart attack exerting myself. I had originally decide to fly east over the North Georgia Mountains. If I had they might still be looking for me. I guess it wasn't my time! My prop shaft was sheared foward of the gears so the prop was free wheeling with very little drag. I found the plane handle very well with no power. One interesting thing, after about 15 minutes on the ground I looked at all the switches and gas valve. All were in the proper place for an emergeny landing.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

David,
    Can you share details on the oil problem so that others may avoid it?

Steve, the fitting going into the oil pump was loose, and apparently the pump started sucking air. I had done an annual about 2 weeks prior and checked all hoses and fittings, wires, etc.. Can't understand why it was loose. A Rotax repair guy said tolerences are so tight on these engines that it takes about 3 seconds without oil for engine failure. If I get this think going again, you can bet I'll check all fittings and hoses each time the cowl is off, which I took off after about every third flight.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)