Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Painting the Rudder Pedals Etc

Default Painting the Rudder Pedals Etc

I want to have some colour in my Kitfox and I am thinking of painting the powder coated rudder pedals, control column, flap handles, etc.

I am starting to work on my fuselage next week, I understand that this stuff starts going in fairly quick so should I paint these right away? Do I paint straight on the powder coat or do I have to rough it up first? Any advice would be swell, thanks!

OH PS. I've seen pictures of the Super Sports rudder pedals punched out with 6 circles to have a raised grippy service. Can I just do this with a 20 ton press or am I over simplifying it? Thanks

Josh

Default Re: Painting the Rudder Pedals Etc

Josh,

A powder coated surface has to have enough tooth to the surface to allow the paint to stick. You will likely be disappointed with flaking paint later if you shoot the paint straight on the powder coating without any prep.

Powder coating makes a terrific primer/base for just about any paint you choose to use if the surface is prepared first.

I water sanded an engine ring mount with 320 wet/dry sandpaper & soapy water, rinsed well, dried and shot a triple coat of aerothane on the mount....ended up looking good as new and still does after 5 years.

Sand till there are no shiny spots left if you go this route.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp.

Dimple dies make sweet flanged holes, here is an example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Piece-JMR-...item1c26d4474f
    A press makes short work of the process.

Thanks for the replies guys. Now I just have to get over the holy **** price of the dimple dies. I'll have to see if i know anyone with them...

I want to match the shade of orange that the exterior will be but i am unsure of what exactly that will be. Do you think I can rattle can it and try to get a match or should I bite the bullet and just order some aerothane for this?
    Last edited by Esser; 07-15-2012 at 07:49 PM.

You'll find that the rattle can paint won't last nearly as long as urethane. If the color will be different from the fabric finish color, an auto paint store might be a bit less expensive considerating shipping.
    Lowell