Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil filter

Default oil filter

Wondering what oil filters are being used on the rotax 912. Is everyone using the rotax filter or are there others that can be used?
    Dj Series 6

Default Re: oil filter

DJ

I've used predominately NAPA's 1056 oil filter for years now however, just last oil change , I installed a Rotax filter. The Rotax filter was always too large and would rub against my oil cooler mount if installed. Not a good thing to have your oil filter spring a leak from rubbing. I had to remove the mount and "adjust" it to make clearance so I could use the recommended Rotax filter. Also the NAPA was less money but now they have come up considerably and are almost the same price as Rotax.
    Not sure if there is an ounce of difference between them internally, some mention the oil by-pass valve, but now mine says Rotax on it instead of NAPA. If your engine is actually under warrantee I would use only Rotax oil filters. I ordered my Rotax filters from John at Kitfox Aircraft and it's now easier and more economical to have John send them to my front door then chasing all over Phoenix trying to find a NAPA store with one on the shelf.

Although I've never tried one CAR Quest had one that worked. Not sure if they still do or what the filter number is now.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Phil Lockwood makes a big deal in his Rotax video (very good by the way) about recommending Rotax filters. The two big things are a stout enough case to withstand cold-start high oil pressures, and the internal pressure relief being of the correct value. Makes good sense to me to just order the Rotax filters in quantity somewhere and having a supply. I only use Champion oil filters on the Lycoming in my RV for the same reason... I've seen testing done in the past where some of the off-brands just didn't measure up.

BTW, Fram doesn't have a very good reputation with the high-end car and motorycle guys. Seems there have been cases of the paper media deteriorating and the glue that holds it in melting. Purolator generally tests way better qualitywise.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

Randy, after starting cars hundreds of times at temps at or below 20 below zero in the somewhat frigid, at times, State of Minnesota I've never once had any of my auto oil filters blow a case apart. Has Phil Lockwood run across this situation a lot on Rotax engines using auto filters? That would be a little un-nerving.

Some years ago Ray Volk and myself spent several hours between a bunch of auto parts stores trying to cross reference a Fram filter for Ray that would work on a Rotax and had no success. Back then Fram didn't show one that would fit a Rotax.

I hope I have as good of luck with the Rotax filters as I have with the NAPA. I'm sure I will and anyway I like buying them from John.
    Last edited by DesertFox4; 02-23-2009 at 01:11 PM.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Carquest filter 85056 is exactly the same size as the NAPA 1056 and cost me 1/3 less.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Like Steve I have used the NAPA 1056 for a long time with no problems. I would like to think that I would pre-heat if temps were cold enough to cause this much trouble. I hate cold weather so I avoid it as much as possible.

I just bought 2 Carquest 85056 filters for my 912 for under $5 each on sale between Apr 1 and Apr 15. I'm sure they are the same as the NAPA.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteohms; 04-08-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I would like to add a note on the oil filter. Have you ever had one unscrew? I for one don't like the idea, I'm sure it will make for a bad day. What I do is put a clamp around the filter and safety wire to the cooler bracket, with the wire going through the cuts in the strap. I would think that would also give a little more support on the filter as well for those cold starts with pressure going up to 80 psi.

Interesting question. On all of the cars, motorcycles, and other machines I've had over the years I've never had a hint of any filter every loosening ever. Yet the filters on Lycomings and Continentals are all safetywired for this, Rotaxes (also a certified aircraft engine) are not. Hmm.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

I'm pretty sure the Carquest, WIX, and Napa Gold are built in the same factory. Nothing magic about the NAPA Gold 1056 except they like to keep the price up because they sell fewer of the 1056 than the other filters that cost $6 and are Napa Gold also.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove