Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil filter

Default Re: oil filter

1700 plus hours of running the Napa 1056 and narry a problem. Never had a spin on oil filter come loose on any vehicle if installed properly. On the Rotax when I go to remove the filter I have to use a large channel lock pliers to "break" it free since I have no room to use a normal filter wrench. No way it will move with just my bare hands. They actually get tighter with time it seems bacause when I install them it's just very "hand tight".
    You can use the hose clamp/safety wire set up for piece of mind. I had that on my Model 3. Very simple to do. Don't have it on my Model 4 and approx. 28 oil changes and never a leak or problem but I may install the clamp anyway. It looks safer.
    Just switched to the Rotax filter last couple oil changes so not much history yet but expect zero problems.
    It's a good idea to use a marker and mark your oil filter with an index mark to visually check before each flight that it hasn't moved. I also mark the filter with the engine hours at time of change and the date. Old habits.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: oil filter

Just to let you know. About a year ago I had a filter loosen, in one flight. I always check before each flight and this time I did checked it. I landed, put the airplane away. That night I went to the airplane to fill it up and check things over for the next flight. I was surprized to find a bunch of oil on the floor. I looked and found it was leaking out the front. I removed the cowl and found the filter had loosened about 3/4 of a turn. I had it marked and was checked before the last flight. I was up for 45min. I had about 900 hrs of trouble free flights before this. It really scared me. I found nothing wrong with the filter. I installed it nice and tight. I use a clamp and safety wire now. It will NOT happen again. OH one more note: the oil never got on the engine in flight, it waited until it was sitting on the ground to leak out. Now it might have gotten air in the system. Don't know. I did check the lifters after I found this and they were all without air.