Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arlington Air show - Ruined

Default Re: Arlington Air show - Ruined

Based on what I've seen of other kitplane manufacturers, I think the Kitfox team is lean and mean. When I made two visits to the factory before committing to buy, I was impressed by the lack of office types and and managers. It's pretty much John and Debra running the whole show. When you think about it, the cost of the kit is reflected in how much overhead they have. The kit is competitively priced and the quality of the components is exceptional. I'm afraid that if the McBeans started adding salespeople, demo people, secretaries, etc. either the price or quality would change.

It's easy for me to get my feelings hurt, especially when I don't think I've done anything wrong, but usually on reflection, I can understand why such and such happened.

(my contribution doesn't help anyone build an airplane does it? Sorry).

Tommy Walker in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Flienlow View Post
    I have long been excited for the Arlington, WA air show & fly-in to come so I could go see, feel, touch, and immerse myself in all that is Kitfox
    First.. let me apologize. I never want to be the cause of one’s trip or excitement to be ruined.. especially when the excitement is about aviation and the Kitfox. I distinctly remember the situation and while you make it sound worse then I remember… I recall telling myself to lighten up he wasn’t abusing the equipment… and you were not.

Please understand that many do not respect the equipment that we fly to and from the air shows all over the country and there has been damage caused not only to our aircraft but many others while “on display”

We spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours to attend the air-shows so that we can show-off our equipment and talk with you about the fun and excitement of the Kitfox and the Kitfox family. Sometimes our skin can get a little thin and we need to take a deep breath.

So I would suggest to you… do not let my “shortness” remove you from the excitement of the Kitfox and the Kitfox family. Hope to visit with you again soon.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Just want to chime in on behalf of the Kitfox crew. Anybody can have a bad day (or moment) and I'm sure John is no exception.

In the course of my Super Sport build I have had many email and phone conversations with both Debra and John and have always found them to be terrific. Just nice, down to earth people who are working hard in a tough business. I say you should put this small hiccup behind you and get going on your build.

Hi Justin.
    First of all, why were you looking at Kitfoxes? I suspect you have a specific goal in mind for the airplane you are going to eventually build, I sure did.The Kitfox series 6 was the new model back in 2000 and after looking at everything that I could find on-line I got my wife to say "If you think you can get it financed, go for it." Thanks to John's help and guidance I own serial number 60011042. Yes there were times that I sensed some aggravation in his voice when I asked him a question that he or I had already answered. I too was excited about the prospect of owning a Kitfox so I dismissed my negative thoughts about the whole process of building and owning something that I would eventually fly.
    Don't give up on John or Kitfox because of one bad moment in time.
    We all make bad decisions once in a while, but we usually think about it and come to another conclusion.
    Try to remember why you were thinking Kitfox above the others.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Steve

I went to Oshkosh in 1988 and while there saw a little airplane parked that was *very* similar to the Banty I was building at the time. Anyway, I'm looking it over and looking at the details of how this was connected to that. Before long there is a very irate field worker (or what ever they are called) telling me not so politely to step away from the plane. I might have had a hand on the stick. It was darned hot out there and these guys are protecting the owner's aircraft. I completely get that.

However, engineers (and geeks) like to know how things work and to me at least these things are irresistible.

So I've learned to deliberately put my stupid hands in my pockets or behind my back so as to *not* touch the planes while gawking. Consider it a lesson in fly-in etiquette.

FWIW,

Mark

Hello Flienlo
    I also was at the Arlington show and spent a couple of visits with a "Kitfox Crew". I would think if any of us had to do these show and tells many times a year at these airshows it would become a bit "stale"!!
    I own a mid 90's Skystar Vixen and had a few questions regarding gross weights, baggage compartments and wing tips. I found the guys very helpful although I am sure they all realized that I would probably not be purchasing a new Series 7 kit!!!
    The thing to remember about "sales encounters" is that they do not come with the product, although in the case of manufacturing an airplane having the technical expertise available might come in very handy.
    Give it another GO!!
    Cheers
    Don

Flienlow-

Take a moment to consider your interaction at Arlington to be a kind of a "go-around" instead of the nice landing you were expecting on the first try because a lot has happened since the unfortunate interaction:

- You shared with us your realization of Rule #1 at airshows - always ask first, plus asking is a nice icebreaker for conversation.

- John chimed in with what is his heart-and-soul approach to people: Deal directly with them, treat them as individuals, and be the first to admit a mistake when you make one. These three elements have taken their aircraft company a very long way in the loyalty department, and it's their dedication that has made building/owning/flying a Kitfox so very special.

- The many posts in reply to your story reveals one very important thread that exists among Kitfox owners: They are passionate about their planes and the community of Kitfox owners. They like a lot of their interactions to be personal because John and Deb have set the tone of cultivating personal relationships. But that takes a LOT of energy and focus to do, and trade shows are incredibly energy sapping for exhibitors. So a misstep like what you experienced can happen from time to time but it's pretty rare with J & D.

Hope this sheds some overall light on what happened.

BTW, there are few companies these days where a customer - especially a builder - can have direct access to the people who make it all happen. But you will have that at Kitfox, so give it a go with them and it will feel like that great landing you were aiming for on your trip to Arlington.

Rich C.
    Model IV - 912UL

Hey Fin. The messages here are all good. I have yet to meet John, but I can relate to his comment. Please understand this. I used to restore classis and antique cars. There is a tremendous amount of hard work that goes into a restoration. I snapped at a couple 4 year old boys who were just about to touch a beautiful black paint job on an antique car. It was part a quick reaction and a response to midigate the damage if they were to inocently wipe their hands on the paint with the dust on it and their hands. I had one woman tell me "I paid my fee(to get into the show) so I have a right to touch any car I want to". John dosen't know what you had in mind.
    If you spent a week in my shop you would surley understand why John 'asked' you not to touch the plane. I NEVER touch any Car, Boat or Airplane unless I'm told it is ok by the owner. I always ask if I can help. You also have to understand that running a business like John's is really tough. May many long hours, and days. If your hell bent on looking elsewhere, good luck. If you like the Kitfox-then do what's right. - Lion8 (Tom)

Hey Justin,

One of the planes you saw was mine (the red and white one) in the booth. I'd be happy to meet up with you sometime and take you for a flight and answer any questions I can.

Now if this wet summer will ever break we might get some flying in yet.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com