Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox ride in Central PA?

Default Kitfox ride in Central PA?

Hi all,

I have been a member of this forum for some time now, and I am getting close to getting my sport pilots license.

I was wondering if there is anyone in the Central PA or surrounding area that would be willing to give me a ride in their Kitfox. I don't mind traveling a 100 miles or so from Harrisburg.

I would be more than willing to compensate for fuel and time. I was pretty set on buying a Kitfox, and everyone I talk to says to make sure you fly one before you buy one. I understand that the controls are lot more sensitive than the Champ I am flying, but I would like to at least try it to see what they are talking about. In my opinion, the control sensitivity is something that you get used to, but what do I know.

You can PM me on this board, or e-mail me at chaddnaugle@comcast.net

Also not in any hurry, but would like to do it over the next couple of months.

Thanks

Chadd

Default Re: Kitfox ride in Central PA?

Chadd,
    If your up for the drive we are having a Kitfox fly-in just north of Binghamton NY next weekend. Should be a good range of models and ride options. Granted it is 80 miles beyond your 100 mile limit but might be worth the drive. If you do decide to make the trip please check the forum before leaving for event status.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 07-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I can offer my 2 cents worth on going from a Champ to a Kitfox. I learned exclusively in a Champ and transitioned to my Kitfox. There was a noticeable difference and a learning curve. I compare the Champ to driving a 1978 Ford F150 pick up and the Kitfox to a 2012 Corvette. They both go down the road alright, but the Corvette turns on a dime and easily can be over steered until you get used to it. Now that I have gotten used to how much more sensitive the Kitfox is, I believe there would be a learning curve to go back to the Champ. The biggest issue for me wasn't the sensitive controls though. It was going from a tandam to a side by side. I had some close calls being too crooked in the Kitfox upon landing. The Champ is much easier to tell if you are straight since you sit in the middle and can sight right down the cowling lining the gas cap and Prop up with the centerline. In the Kitfox, the cowling is at an angle and your sitting offset of center so it takes some getting used to. However, once you do get used to the Kitfox, you will realize the huge difference in performance that the Kitfox has over the Champ.
    Last edited by Jerrytex; 07-06-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    ... I learned exclusively in a Champ and transitioned to my Kitfox. There was a noticeable difference and a learning curve. ... how much more sensitive the Kitfox is ...
    I had a few hours in a Piper Cub and one hour in a Champ when I flew for the 1st time in an Eurofox. It was an eye opener, a "noticeable difference" is right on the spot. I thought that accumulating more training hours in Cubs/Champs would provide me with the right skills to fly the Kitfox. Now I am looking to fly in "real" KFs or similar planes before trying mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    ...The biggest issue for me wasn't the sensitive controls though. It was going from a tandam to a side by side. I had some close calls being too crooked in the Kitfox upon landing. The Champ is much easier to tell if you are straight since you sit in the middle and can sight right down the cowling lining the gas cap and Prop up with the centerline. In the Kitfox, the cowling is at an angle and your sitting offset of center so it takes some getting used to.
    I had the same problem when transitioning from gliders, (my first rating) to SEL, (Typically a '152.) You get used to align the runway centerline with the glider's nose and your own nose. Side-by-side seating forces you to "unlearn" that.

Quote Originally Posted by wino59 View Post
    ...In my opinion, the control sensitivity is something that you get used to, ...
    Yes, of course, but you need to be prepared for it. Also, you need to decide if that is the type of flying you are interested in. [Something that requires more attention, vs. a more relaxed, 'hands-off' flyable airplane.]

Roberto.
    Last edited by rwaltman; 07-06-2012 at 12:36 PM.

I found that by using a grease crayon and making a horizon line with a dead ahead line on the windshield helped tremendously during the transition. Once your butt is calibrated for yaw and you have a good sight picture established this can be wiped off.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks for all the tips and great responses. I did buy the Flying a Kitfox guide, and forgot about the center line, and how the approach looks different.

Dorsal - I may take you up on that offer... It is really not all that far away. I will probably ride my motorcycle up there for the day.

Av8r3400 - Great tip about the grease pencil.

Thanks for the advice and input guys.

Chadd

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I found that by using a grease crayon and making a horizon line with a dead ahead line on the windshield helped tremendously during the transition. Once your butt is calibrated for yaw and you have a good sight picture established this can be wiped off.
    This is great info especially on the early models with the rounded instrument panel top. Except for the carry through at the top, there is no real horizon reference and with the cowl tapering to the prop, not much of a reference to let you know when you are lined up properly. I used eighth inch fine line masking tape applied after lining up the fuselage with the tree on top of the ridge and then sitting where I sit and applying the tape on the windshield to touch the tree. I never took it off.

A side note - I used to have a local CFI, a former Alaska bushie give me my BFR. He loved the Kitfox and always wanted to take it and dance wheel to wheel down the runway. I tried to tell him he wasn't lined up, but I couldn't convince him. I got to replace the tires after the BFR every time I used him because he would scrubb the rubber off the cord every time.

Lowell

Hey Chadd I'll give you a ride. I'm about 45 min south of harrisburg. Just a mile south of the mason dixon line. Are you taking lessons at bermudian valley? Pm me for my number.

There is a kitfox out of jersey shore airport. I've been seeing his plane around for a while and noticed he just recently joined this forum. Maybe he'll chime in.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Chad, I can give you a ride in my Jabiru powered Classic IV Kitfox, I'm based at Jersey Shore, Pa ( P96 ) only 65nm also I plan on flying to Selinsgrove ( SEG ) 35nm from Harrisburg next Sat for a fly-in lunch. also there is another Classic IV at P96 that can be bought, the owner/builder does not fly any more because of health & age. David McCormick
    David McCormick
    Kitfox Classic IV powered by Jabiru 2200
    Based at Jersey Shore, Pa P96