Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Velcro Adhesive Blues

Default Velcro Adhesive Blues

Getting ready for tomorrow's annual I removed the "upholstery" from my KF, the liners, cargo-bag, etc.
    As you know, there are held in place with velcro strips, which in turn have an adhesive backing to stay put where they were meant to be.

The problem: In many places, with its age and the heat, this adhesive has turn into something with the looks and consistency of recently chewed chewing gum, but only a fraction of its strength.

Questions:
    a) How to clean this gunk before replacement?
    b) Is there a better way?
    The velcro itself is still in very good condition, only the adhesive has failed.
    When the strips are attached to a tube, I could easily use velcro without adhesive and secure it with nylon tie-wraps. Don't know what to do on flat surfaces.

Roberto.

Default Re: Velcro Adhesive Blues

I've got no advice on how to clean the old stuff off, but I've had great luck using Shoe Goo on this kind of stuff.

Roberto, I know where you are coming from as we have that heat thing here in AZ. I recently had to clean that gunky melted stuff off as well. I ended up using MEK and several rags to clean things up...Steve's idea for shoe goo doesn't sound like a bad call. I ended up using a two part epoxy.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I used Gorilla Glue on mine a few years ago. Still holding tight. Caution: Gorilla Glue goes a long way. Be certain to wet both surfaces and use a very thin coating.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I dealt with this same problem recently. My project has been in my hot garage for years and I had t redo the velcro. I tried several solvents and denatured alcohol worked really well for me.

Auto parts stores have 3M adhesive remover. Works great doesn't hurt paint.

I still had some rib stitching thread and the needles that I used to rib stitch the wings. It was a simple matter to sew the velcro strips to the fabric

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    For the time being I'll do the cleaning part only. I'm beginning to like the naked-tube look.
    May change my mind when winter arrives.

Roberto.