Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Buying a Kitfox kit - a couple questions

Default Buying a Kitfox kit - a couple questions

Hi everyone,
    First post here, so be gentle! I'm becoming more aware that the kind of flying that I do is local stuff and not so much cross country travel, and the idea of back-country flying really interests me with the idea of camping or backpacking. I've compared a few "low and slow" type airplanes for their utility and Kitfox always comes out ahead.

That said, I found a project Kitfox from someone but it's pretty beat up. It had an off field landing and broke some tubes in the fuselage. That makes me wonder if the airframe is bent or twisted. Not something I'm prepared to deal with. What are your thoughts on that? I don't know anything about tube-&-fabric airplanes, so I don't know if that's a deal breaker for most.

Second question, it looks like a lot of builders are building the S7, which looks like a great airplane. But there are a couple of beautiful Kitfoxes on Barnstormers for the mid $40k range (a 5 and a 6). They seem fairly inexpensive compared to the cost of the new S7 kit. Did the pricing go up quite a bit, or is the resale value lower than the cost to build?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

By the way, I live in Boise, ID and I really would like to check out a Kitfox if anyone has time (I'm hangared in Nampa).

Default Re: Buying a Kitfox kit - a couple questions

In my experience experimental class planes typically sell for less than the cost to build.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Unless you're a superior scrounger, the cost of a newly built experimental will definitely be higher than the resale value. You should only build if you want the experience and you want the plane tailored to your fine taste.

If you want to check out a 7 SuperSport SLSA in Boise why don't you look up Paul Leadabrand at Stick & Rudder Aviation. (http://stick-rudder.com/) I did my tailwheel transition training with him and got a bunch of backcountry mountain flying in to boot.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    In my experience experimental class planes typically sell for less than the cost to build.
    I second that. built two homebuilts and barely got back what I had in them.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Drive over to Homedale, Id and take a look at the Kitfox factory and you'll also get to see several new Kitfox's.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I heard of a guy that bought a damaged Kitfox & ended up spending more to fix it then a super sport kit would have cost him. I just ordered in May a Super Sport kit to be delivered in October. Yes that far out! looks like it is going to cost me about $70K to build it the way I want it. 912IS, Leading edge Kit, Alaska Bushwheels and tailwheel, with Advanced 5600 avionics. Along with various other options the cost really adds up. On a positive note the type of flying that a Kitfox can do is Awsome! Just finished my Tailwheel endorsement in a J3 Cub. I was able to land at some pretty need strips.

Hi lostpilot28, welcome to the Kitfox site and world its a great plane for kicky around in. Unless the damaged one is dirt cheap and is and you have lots of time, look for a good flying plane. There is nothing wrong with the Model 4's or 5's all are good planes. And as DesertFox4, posted drive over to the Kitfox factory your very close and see them as they are being built.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Thanks for the great replies! I guess I should've qualified my questions a bit for more clarity. I've built and currently fly an RV-7A here in the Boise area. My question about the seemingly soft resale market is because I do not see RV's typically go for less than what they cost to build. The market is definitely softer than it was in the past, but unless someone is trying to move their airplane within a week or two, most go for thousands more than what they put into them. But, I have no doubt that the Kitfoxes are a great value...my observation is simply missing a frame of reference, which is what it "really" cost to build. The two great looking airplanes on Barnstormers appear inexpensive compared to the S7 kit when tallying up everything needed to finish the airplane. My thought was that either the market is extremely soft for Kitfoxes, or the S7 kit is much more expensive. I'm sure it's a combination of both, but I just want to know how much!

I've seen Paul Leadabrand flying recently at Nampa...yesterday when I was out there, as a matter of fact. I didn't know who he was, so thank you for the link! Beautiful airplane, too! Same colors as my RV. I may have to give him a call. That and a quick flight over to Homedale to check out the factory may be in order. I've flown in there a couple times, but wasn't into the low & slow stuff at that time!

Again, thank you all for your replies...they're very helpful. If anyone is in the area and would like to show me their airplanes, I'd really appreciate it!

Hey,
    Kitplane sales are cyclical, following the economy and seasons. I bought my Mod IV 1050, 912UL, Grove gear, wheels and brakes. If I were to disassemble the plane and sell the individual components the Barnstormers and eBay prices would quickly out strip my purchase price by a substantial amount.
    I built a Mod V for someone else in the past and wanted to go flying for myself on this one.
    Buying is time and calender sensitive, I made my deal in early April and if I put it on Barnstormers today, could net a nice profit(no its not for sale).
    Decide what you are looking to do, build or fly. If you are gonna fly, be realistic in determining your mission profile, it will morph. I originally wanted to build an aluminum plane next, the Questair Venture was square in my sights, wanted to strap an Allison on the front and pass Citations in the flight levels. Reality checked my desires, mostly because the costs were gonna be astronomical and the mission profile didn't even come close to anything I really wanted to do. I like to pop around the grass patch and airport bum, close to home and the Kitfox fits that profile nicely.
    Good Luck
    eric