Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: King KLN 90

Default King KLN 90

This is more an operational question, than a electrical one, so here ya go:
    I have been pondering GPS units, the Garmin KLN90 series is available on the open market from 400.00 and up, really reasonable price for a formerly top of the line unit. The Garmin 696 series is another option, all though a slightly more expensive route starting at about 1300.00. I know that they are different, with completely different mission philosophies. I have a Dynon D100 for the new panel, and whichever unit I get, I would like to slave to the Dynon HSI. After flying glass for the last couple of decades round gauges don't feel like home, I know what a wimp! I am anticipating using a GPS for nav about 50% of the time, so nothing is clear, mission wise, I am waiting till the dead of winter to do anything so this is an academic discussion. Just wondering what the seasoned GA hands think.
    Thanks
    Eric

Default Re: King KLN 90

My 2 cents is that there is no substitution for screen size, I think as a GPS the 696 wins hands down. In building my panel I have the 696 and didn't even put in a nav radio, no regrets. Do you intend to build an IFR capable ship? as that would certainly change things.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 06-30-2012 at 02:43 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I've got the Garmin 510 slaved to my Dynon D180. Works great. The touch screen is not a problem in the light, bouncy, Kitfox.
    Bruce Estes
    KF4
    Dynon D180
    Rotax 912S

I have the AvMap tied to my D100 and the TCAS tied to my AvMap.

Big screen GPS and Dynon are an aid to me to see things with.

I have a KLN 90 with tray in nice shape, that I do not need. Will sell cheap.