Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plane Shows Up Tomorrow!

Default Re: Plane Shows Up Tomorrow!

Yep, I think you'll be fine. I should find and post the picture I have of a 12' (maybe it was 14') crate with amphibious float kit int he crate that I had shipped to Germany. I made an extension on the bed of my little Nissan compact pickup to haul them home. Looked funny as the crate was probably longer than the truck.
    Congrats on the new acquisitions!!!

There's a million ways to move something you really want to move.......see attached. Yup - the truck had 300,000 miles on it and the 8.000# trailer was a little short - but it worked.

You'll get it done

DS
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a VERY cool truck!!!!
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

I second Monococks motion! I have a 69 GMC pickup the same color. Very Cool

Cain B

Well she is here! Due to me misplacing my passport, my good friend Sam Schauteet(Who also has his private pilot license) and my new fiancé Natalie went over the bridge to meet Partian's driver Michael. Michael was very thorough and was extremely meticulous in his unloading and helpfulness in loading my plane into the Uhaul. On the Uhaul note, it works fine even with the wheel wells. We were able to strap the wings to the walls off the floor. We had to cut up some moving blankets to slide under the straps but everything went well.

Partain's Truck

Michael Unstrapping my Kitfox

Sam ready to help load the Uhaul

Wings nestled in the shop

Compulsory Airplane making noises picture.

So now the hard work begins. It is a little daunting at this stage I must admit. But I am flying back to work today so I won't get to touch her for 2 weeks until I fly back home. The life of a tradesman has it's ups and downs. Updates to follow!

I am so glad that I am retired. I could not stand to be away from my kit for two weeks. Since Memorial Weekend, I have been away twice for 4 day stretches and about went bonkers. Did nothing but worry and fret. There is no addiction in the world better than a kitfox build. Now the adventure begins.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Quick note. If there is nothing on top of the steel wing support stands, I would cover them with strips of carpet or soft wood to protect the aluminum spars.

Esser, Not sure if you are looking to start on your wings right away or not...but if you would like to save a little room when not working on them, John McBean gave me the idea of building the tall "saw horses" as in the pic below. I eventually cut the top pieces to about half of what you see there. The wooden lengths resting on the saw horse are about 4' long and inserted into the leading spar tubes.
    Have a blast on the build!

Wings1.jpg
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Highwing the sawhorses have rubber tops to them. But thanks for the tip anyhow. I'm pretty anal about dissimilar metals touching even if there is paint.

DanB. The sawhorses are a good idea. I'm not sure where I am going to start. Any judgestions? Space is one thing I have lots of. My shop is 110 x 90 feet. The room with the wings is just the one area I will heat

I would start with the fuse. It fairly easy and you make progress fast! Good for the ego and personal accomplishment factors.

Jim