Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android vs. iPad

Default Android vs. iPad

I have neither of the above but am looking to buy one when my plane gets closer to being finished. I am very interested in the aviation apps that work on these platforms and I wonder if folks who publish and sell these apps generally put them out in both platforms.

I read Dorsal's comment asking if SocialFlight was going to be released in Android format.

I know, its a tricycle/tail dragger kind of issue, but generally speaking about the reliability of the two platforms and the availability of the software what do you think? I believe there is a price difference, but not sure about the stability of one over the other. I'm not too concerned about the non-aviation software apps.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by MotReklaw; 06-18-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: to correct spelling
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Default Re: Android vs. iPad

I use an Android tablet but feel the Ipad is better supported. BTW Socialflight is available on Android and works well
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

The path of least resistance is to go with the iPad. It's gained such a following amongst pilots that it represents the larger market for aviation app developers.

If you don't like Apple's controlled ecosystem then go Android but be prepared to plead with developers to bring their apps out for that platform.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

AV8r_Sed makes an interesting point. I read recently that Android is outselling Apple's counterparts two to one, yet the developers seem to want to hitch their stars to Apple. I loved my Mac computer for image editing and video, but they are indeed prone to toss the older users under the buss when they update operating systems. I can no longer publish DVDs on my Mac because an upgrade to the OS rendered my existing $400 publishing program obsolete with "No intentions of adding patches to make it work" And the program is no longer available as a stand alone purchase but only as part of a bundled $1400 suite. I still love the photo editing and file management, but doubt I will ever go their way again unless I win the lottery. I keep scanning the android apps and intend to wait it out.
    Lowell

I used the IPad in a flight from Mesquite Texas (Dallas Area) to Weyers Cave Virginia and back. I use Fore Flight, on the entire trip I had really BAD Weather, Fore Flight has a 15 minute delay weather that works really well, easy to use, cheaper than many comparable GPSs, definately need a Glair Shield (available at Sporty's). I had no issues with it during the entire flight, I dropped GPS once in flight, which would make having the Stratus nice, but it only took a cople of button touches and I was back on GPS. I plan on getting a Stratus, that gives me access to in-flight ADS-B weather real time with a built in GPS (Also available at Sporty's).

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17165

I now have a new IPAD3 because my IPAD2 got stollen 6 months after I purchased it. They are a HIGH Theaft item in Dallas, long story. The IPad 3 is definately worth the Money, I got the one with the Wi-Fi & 4G Wireless Data Number. It cost $30 per month for wirelss, but the advantages of having the IPad over other GPSs are numerous! Surf the Web, Text Message Capabilities, Camera pretty good on the IPAD3

I found another use for it this weekend, I have my computer in my office, but my television in the living room does not have internet, so I can not get Netflix to play on my TV. I purchased the Cable for IPad to TV, and it works really well. Every now and then have to wait for Data, but the picture is Great! Have to have my couch potato time, since I am going out for Surgery, and will be couch bound for a Week or so!

Ragards,
    Paul Z
    Last edited by Paul Z; 06-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul, how do you manage with the size of the iPad in the kitfox ? I have found it a little large and cumbersome in the model IV , ofcourse you fly the wide body and have more room than I do.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Grab the app called iHUD. I had the author update it so I can lock my ipad into horizontal mode. It's a pretty accurate backup to Skyview.

Another option to consider is the Cheetah Pad by True Flight.

http://www.aviationsafety.com/cheetah_flight_pad.html

It has excellent aviation software, sunlight readability, and can function as a tablet PC using the Windows OS. One really neat feature is the "highway in the sky" GPS approach to most runways. Very easy at night or for that extra level of comfort....simply fly an approach through the "boxes" on the movng map. I use one when I travel with the airplane for back-up GPS nav and a laptop once I get where I'm going.

As one other poster said...I HATE Apple's complete and utter control on their system. I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy, so far I really like it but have not had a chance to really use it for flying.

For Android users try out Garmin Pilot. I did the 30 day trial period and was quite impressed with it. Flight planning, tracking up, excellent graphics, up-dateable weather and TFR info, and fuel pricing. This is a good one IMHO.

Anywhere Map is also courting the Droid Club with what looks to be very respectable, however there are a few things that are not included yet as compared to the windows based units that have been out for so long. There is no trial period, but it is under $80 / year.

I'm thinking about downloading the Naviator as it also allows a 30 day trial. this one looks ok, but is missing a few things as you read the reviews. But the price is way down there (I'm remembering somewhere around $40/year) and would probably be a good back-up.

At times it's tough to not cross over to the dark side just to be able to take advantage of more developed Apps. with Apple platforms, however, the future does look bright for the Androids out there.
    Dan
    Last edited by DanB; 06-18-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ