Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912uls with temp problem

Default 912uls with temp problem

I just bought a beautiful kitfox 4-1200 with a 912uls 100hp it has 6 hours on it, the builder did a wonderful job, it looks like a show plane, durring the test flights the oil temp rises to over 250- 260. the builder thinks it could be the spinner /prop combo? The spinner is 8 1/2" and prop is a 3 bladed GSC. Cylinder head temp is normal The one thing I see which might contribute to the over heating problem is the spacing between round cowl and the airplane, I wonder if there might be a correct spacing for the air to exit ? does anyone have any ideas? lakeflyer

Default Re: 912uls with temp problem

My model IV round cowl is tight against the boot cowl and I've never had a problem. You didn't mention if there is a cooler and thermostat installed
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Yes there is the oil cooler just under the spinner, I suspect it does have a thermostat, where would it be located?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeflyer View Post
    I just bought a beautiful kitfox 4-1200 with a 912uls 100hp it has 6 hours on it
    Do you mean space between the round cowl and the main cowl or do you mean between the main cowl and the actual airplane.

If you are asking about the space between the main cowl and the airframe as in the outlet on the bottom of the cowl there should be a reasonably sized opening. I've always been told twice as much outlet as inlet, but that's not always possible. You may have air ramming into the cowling, but if it has no where to go it won't help you oil cooler.

my space at the bottom of the cowl is maybe 1/4'' it is 3/4'' on the top

Please be more specific. What spacing are you talking/concerned about?

Im looking at the spacing behind the round cowl where it attaches to the plane,thanks for helping me to resolve this problem

There a four parts to your cowling. The two rings up front, top and bottom and two "boot" cowling halves. There should be a small space about what you've mentioned in between the actual round halves and the boot cowling. That space is not really a major cooling air exit. The bottom of the boot cowling is the major source of cooling air exit.

Perhaps the oil lines are not routed to the correct connections?
    Last edited by Geowitz; 06-14-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Interesting problem. The Model IV with oil cooler usually has temps in the normal range to slightly on the cool side. I don't think it is the spinner - that is the same size I run. A friend has a Model IV with a two piece cowl with the two ring cowls bonded to the main cowl top and bottom with no heat problems. The spacing Geowitz is talking about is the opening below and to the pilot side of the lower main cowl. Mine is 2.75X 13 inches. What does the oil pressure look like. It usually is right around 70 psi. at start up. You mention that the cylinder head temp (coolant) is normal. If that is the case, the first thing I think I would do is check the temp sender. Drop it in some boiling water and see if the oil temp registers at 212°.
    Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    You mention that the cylinder head temp (coolant) is normal. If that is the case, the first thing I think I would do is check the temp sender. Drop it in some boiling water and see if the oil temp registers at 212°.
    Lowell
    Sometimes I want to smack myself in the head. I'm always telling people to check the simple things first, but I completely forgot to even think about the sensor being wrong. Lowell is right. Check that first as your problem is not typical at all. As long as the builder constructed things generally they way they should be you should have no cooling issues what so ever.