Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitfox as a daily flyer.

Default Re: Kitfox as a daily flyer.

I have a air field and hanger on my ranch in Estero. My office in Ft. Lauderdale is next to
    Ft. Lauderdale Airport. The aircraft would be kept in hanger.
    I do not want to fly when it is marginal or IFR . I can drive if need be.
    I am down to deciding type or aircraft. I want it to be fun and safe. I know a 172 would do the job. The Kitfox seems to me to be more than a air weather flyer. Especially out west and Alaska. Cannot imagine they don't face marginal conditions on a regular basis.
    Like it was said the decision is the pilots.

I have to side with Larry on his perspective. When one asks about a KF for a commuter, most of us who have been playing with them for awhile seem to think of the mod 1-4 planes. Can they be used, yes, are they a great choice for CC flying, well, only if you like to fly along and watch the cars passing you below as they outrun you on the freeway.

Having never flown a new mod 7 my opinion, just like Larry's is that the kitfox is not known as a CC plane. Yes, some of us have and do do long CC flights in them, but not an every day commuter. It is also my opinion that the newer KF does not make NEAR as good of a bush bird as the mod 1-3 as far as STOL work goes. I like low and slow, and the new SS just does not fit what I want in the KF.

It is up to each pilot to determine whats best for him as opinions vary GREATLY.

When I finished my fox in 98 I had been dreaming of using it to commute to work. I fulfilled that dream by taking a job in driggs Idaho, a 50 mile flight if I ran over a 8500 foot ridge on the way. Many times I took off in the dark. Some times I found not so ideal conditions. later, I flew to Yellowstone near daily for a year. my build was a 912 ul powered sportster.
    I would never trade a minute of that time for anything, I miss it now, bad.
    If you are looking for the fun of the planning and flight, johns aircraft are the greatest fun since sex. ( well, I think I remember)
    I do remember landing on a farmers road once, taxied up to his house and asked to tie to his hitching rail. It was snowing and very nasty as the sun came up... Whew
    John
    Last edited by leptronjohn; 06-12-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

One more opinion to add to the mix, I think the 7 would make a great little commuter (as compared to 152/172). I fly frequently with winds in the teens and find the plane very well behaved and fun to fly.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Interesting question. Do you plan on building or buying? If building and doing it part time consider what your work situation will be five years or more down the road. When I started building, I asked the factory if I could put a jump seat in the baggage area for my son. When I finished he weighed as much as I did. Then assuming you will be flying say 75% of the time, are you prepared to replace the engine every five years - big bucks there if you go with the Rotax. Most of the thumbs up are from the West where just about every day is a fly day and weather can be pretty much stable over the entire day. Florida? Reminds me of the time we rented a boat on a beautiful clear day and went out to explore the inland water way then raced a thunder storm squall back to the base to avoid being the high point for miles under a thunder cloud. Google Earth shows me that the highway between home and work is called Alligator Alley.

Timid me - I'd drive and dream of flying along the way.
    Lowell

For the past 2 summers I have been commuting 245 miles over the Cascades to Seattle twice a week with my 100hp 4. It does 115 mph.
    Now I have a new job 75 miles from home, but I fly home when the wind gets to high to spray. I fly home a lot when the wind is greater than 25 a lot.
    But that's just me,
    K