Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox as a daily flyer.

Default Kitfox as a daily flyer.

Looking to purchase aplane to fly daily between (weather permiting ) Estero, FL and Ft. Lauderdale, FL. About ,85 air miles. WIll a Kitfox fill mission?

Default Re: Kitfox as a daily flyer.

It wouldn't be my first choice and I love flying my 'Fox.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

[QUOTELooking to purchase aplane to fly daily between (weather permiting ) Estero, FL and Ft. Lauderdale, FL. About ,85 air miles. WIll a Kitfox fill mission? ][/QUOTE]

Can't think of one reason why not. Weather permitting. If it's for getting to and from work, can't think of a better way to start the work day than a Kitfox flight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Wow... It would absolutely be mine.. 85 miles.. We fly 90+ for breakfast in the back country for fun.

You would not only have fun with the ride but would be able to do it for less than about any other on the market.

Using the Kitfox to commute would be a GREAT choice...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    It wouldn't be my first choice and I love flying my 'Fox.
    Well, Larry I gotta ask...If the Fox don't do it for you with an 85 mi hop, then what will?
    In my opinion that would be a perfect way to start every day that the weather allows.
    Dan
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Okay. I'm going to continue to get beaten over this but let me try to qualify my remarks, anyway.

85 miles one way is realistically at least an hour trip in a Kitfox. So, think in terms of two hours plus per day in a very light wing loaded plane commuting across Florida. Factor in tropical heat, thermals and the associated weather (permitting or not - the OP will find himself in marginal conditions often enough). Speaking as an IFR rated pilot, a Kitfox is not my first choice in those conditions. Can it be done? Sure. Is it practical? That's the OP's choice.

I'm offering my opinion that this isn't the right plane for that mission, in terms of comfort, safety or fun. Personally I would want a plane with a much higher wing loading and more speed for commuting.

Kitfoxes are great planes. I have a ton of fun flying mine. I have no regrets in the decision to have one (or in my case one and three quarters). They are absolutely awesome for their mission: STOL, fun flying.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I wouldn't be worried about the flying part as much as I would be about the constant use and storage issues. Where will it be parked while you're at work? Inside or outside? As I'm sure you know afternoon thunderstorms can be quite violent... So can the sun. Everyday use means a lot more chances for damage/hangar rash/general wear/corrosion etc and a fabric airplane may be less forgiving. If you have a hangar to roll it into I would consider it. Flying in any plane no matter how slow or bumpy beats driving any day.

I'm going to have to side with Av8r3400 on this. I have several different aircraft at my disposal and the '2-seat fliver' would be my last choice for a daily commuter. I'd be more inclined to use a 172 or something of that category for the commute if I were on a budget. Still cheap to operate and reasonable speed and versatility, and over all comfort for those 'bumpy' days.

I didn't realize what delicate and feeble aircraft we all chose to build and fly. I was planning on flying one from Arizona to Oshkosh, and back, again this year but now I'm having 2nd thoughts. Also I don't want to be the only Kitfox at Oshkosh since they're not up to even an 85 mile trip twice a day when the weather is good. Maybe one will be brought in on a trailer for static display if corrosion hasn't gotten to it yet. I'm betting there will be lots of exciting 172s there to look at though since they are immune from turbulence and corrosion.
    So guys, no hopes of seeing a Kitfox in Alaska or the Bahama's anytime soon? I got it now. Too uncomfortable and unsafe. What was I thinking?
    Forgive me guys. I drank the coolaid back in 1984.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Boy, some peoples feelings sure get hurt easily. I personally never said the Kitfox was a "delicate and feeble aircraft", nor did I state it was a piece of XXXX. Didn't say anything of the sort nor did I insinuate it. Far from it...I stated that in my opinion I would be more inclined to use something else. I lived in Florida for nearly 10 years and still maintain a house there so I know what kind of weather a person has to deal with there. An 85 mile distance is nothing for the Kitfox but I can honestly say it would get tossed around a whole lot more than a spam can would in bad weather. Not all of us are 'Walter Mitty's of the Kitfox' world and might be stuck in weather than would be more than we would personally fly in with a Kitfox, yet would fly with a more substantial plane.
    Kool aid pitcher is empty so I guess I like all planes.