Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox as a daily flyer.

Default Re: Kitfox as a daily flyer.

Sorry about all the hurt feelings.
    To the OP, consensus is- just get a job closer to home , or a Beechcraft King Air.

Slyfox- repeat 100 times---my Kitfox is not a piece of XXXX.

It was getting a little too quiet on the site lately. Everyone must have been out flying 84 miles or less. Running for cover under the stairs.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Wow. Talk about over the top.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Everyones opinions will vary.. so there is not a right or wrong answer just different opinions. However, not all Kitfox's are equal.. they share the same name. The responsibility remains ultimately with the pilot.. and it is most definately their choice.

The single most common remark we get in the Kitfox S7-SS is how remarklably stable it is in convective conditions.. more stable than the Cessnas they have flown...

IFR - Many have and still do.. agreed not the ideal IFR platform but it does get the job done. Besides... on those days requiring actual IFR unless one is current and active.. DRIVE. I don't care what aircraft you're in. Speaking as an instructor.

Outside - There are many CUBS, HUSKIES and KITFOX's that are operated outside in Phoenix and Alaska. Again.. maybe not ideal, but the fabric is very durable. Poly-Fiber claims if done correctly ouside unprotected up to 20 years... Not sure I would go that far.. so say 25% less = 15 years. Paint and interior will take the most punishment. Find a shade hangar or hangar to park in if able. Most those areas have at least shade hangars.

More Speed.. lets look at the numbers:

Assumptions: Start-up/Shutdown and Taxi are equal. TTC are equal.

Given 85 SM direct.
    Choose whatever column suits you. With N102YB and the Big tundra tires I have a TAS of 117 and with the 600-6 with pants TAS of 125.

Distance 85 SM
    TAS Minutes
    110 46.36
    115 44.35
    120 42.50
    125 40.80
    130 39.23
    135 37.78
    140 36.43
    180 28.33
    200 25.50

So it takes me approx 15 minutes (30 round trip) longer than a 180 mph.. but most likely using less fuel and from a safety point can land just about anywhere. If I put the 600's and wheel pants I'm down to about 25 minute round trip difference.

As for everyday use.. talk to Stick & Rudder Aviation. While typically in a hangar overnight he has trained for almost 1500 hours in the last 2 years that averages for over 2 hours outside everyday for 2 years training from hard surface to back country bush flying... Please feel free to come take a look... One wouldn't think it has more than a few hundred hours.

Sorry.. but the Kitfox is just tough to beat.. from The Back Country and Bush flying for a $100 Breakfast to the Local Banyan FBO and everywhere in between... and you look good doing it...

I like all planes as well.. some more than others. Let me know when you need more Kool-Aid for your pitcher.

All that being said... it really is the pilots choice. Everyone has their own comfort level.... Safety should be the highest consideration IMO. To me.. being able to land on a dime with 9 cents change is a safety margin I prefer.. especially if the need arises to fly marginal, very marginal VFR...

Fly VFR or IFR and do not mix them... Ideally.. if you have to fly IFR... file IFR and give me a twin... Not an easy feeling in the clouds IFR and the engine blows a cylinder.... now add the mountains.

Climbing down and going for another icy Kool-Aid...
    Last edited by jdmcbean; 06-12-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Yeah, wow. Chill out people. No one said the Kitfox was apiece of XXXX. You know, I wrote that message to give an opinion AND perspective of a pilot in the Southeast. I know what the weather is like down here and would be freakin out at work if I knew my Kitfox was sitting outside everyday in the Florida sun and rain. Corrosion and overall exposure to the elements and other operations around the aircraft IS an issue. No one else seems to be worried about storage during the day which is where MOST of the wear and tear on this guys future plane will come from. That was my only intention. Not to say that the Kitfox was a piece of XXXX. It's not just about the flying in a commuting situation.

Thanks John. Well typed.

Thanks to the original poster for the question.
    I see he didn't see any response except the very first one so he may have given up on a Kitfox already I but hope not. That would be a shame.

Think I'll take Geo's advice and chill with a glass of Kool-aid and a swim in the pool. It's 104 today in the shade. Just getting warm enough here finally to pull the duct tape off our oil coolers.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Great opinions all around...at least everyone is awake. Geo..Chilling out is always a welcomed thought in our area as it's 107 outside today
    Bartender...I'll take a double-shot of that Koolaid on the rocks.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

..but it's a dry heat. Isn't that what you guys always say?

At least we all gave him something to think about. A lot of times on other boards his post may have gotten lost in the fray.

I have a air field and hanger on my ranch in Estero. My office in Ft. Lauderdale is next to
    Ft. Lauderdale Airport. The aircraft would be kept in hanger.
    I do not want to fly when it is marginal or IFR . I can drive if need be.
    I am down to deciding type or aircraft. I want it to be fun and safe. I know a 172 would do the job. The Kitfox seems to me to be more than a air weather flyer. Especially out west and Alaska. Cannot imagine they don't face marginal conditions on a regular basis.
    Like it was said the decision is the pilots.

Fly the Outback KF-5 and have flown it in all types of weather from high winds to snow and would have no problem commuting with in for 85sm,, Now it isn't a TR182 but it also doesn't burn more than about 5gph. I keep my IFR currancy in the Fox and it does an excellent job flying approaches and although not like a heavier 182 I would prefer it over a 172 or 150/152. and besides just look at the opportunity for all the FUN you get on flying a Fox 170sm each day. Heck I fly between 300 & 400hrs a year in mine and would prefer an 85 mile leg vs a 20 mile hop any time.

Fly a Fox and enjoy yourself, heck I would.
    BigJohn
    Kitfox 5 Outback
    Rotax 912ULS With 1622cc Big Torque Zipper Conversion

Youtube BigJohn655
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BigJohn655

SPOT LINK:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...OgrFSDFu8qvG6Q

wow, great cat fight just have to give my two cent,s worth.
    if you dont need four seats and want to enjoy a nice 30 min. flite in the morning and afternoon "weather permitting" the kitfox will fit the bill great. and you can get it with the tail wheel on the wrong end
    to heck with the kool ade i'm going to get another beer.