Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedster conversion

Default Speedster conversion

Is there a rule of thumb as to what additional speed a "wing clip" provides (over and above a standard wing)? And what kind of increase in stall speed could be expected?

Any downsides? Or other comments?

I'm just curious, as someone asked me recently why I hadn't clipped my Mk 5's wings. I don't intend to do it, but I wasn't really sure what answer to give!!!
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

Default Re: Speedster conversion

They look great and fit in hangars easier.

I've never seen much difference in speeds from long to speedster wings. Maybe around 5 mph at lower altitudes. Just a guess. It's hard to get two identical aircraft together with the exception of the wing length to really find out.
    You are cutting two full wing bays off so you do lose lifting area for the loads carried. Only real impact I noticed is a little longer take off runs ( usually not a concern) and at altitude or high altitude airports less climb rates. That could be a concern.
    I do remember one time on a long cross country flight at higher altitude, we had two Kitfox's almost identical in configuration and loading. Same engine, same prop, same fuel load ect. About as close as two aircraft could be except wing length. The short wing I was flying had to use more power to maintain the altitude and speed of the long wing. If we set both engines to the same settings the long wing would slowly walk away from us.
    Not the true definitive test but as close as I've come to one.
    Here in my State we can take off from a 1,400 foot above sea level runway and in one hour land on a 7,200 foot above sea level runway in the heat of summer with very tall pine trees on each end. Let's just say, I like the long wing. YMMV.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I'm building my model IV to be both long and short wing. It was an option I bought from Skystar back in '97. The outer bay is removable and attached is a picture of the right wing outer bay (primed but not painted). Hope to have it flying this fall or winter and I'll let you know. Maybe someone out there has this option and the numbers. I wanted a long wing but would not fit in the garage I had then with wings folded.

Henry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henrysamson; 06-10-2012 at 02:52 PM.

I think the only real benefit of the "speed wing" is actually a better roll rate and less effects from turbulence from the higher wing loading.

I would think atleast with our type of wing only shortening the wing will actually slow you down as with less wing area you are creating less lift so to compensate you need a slightly higher angle of attack which then induces drag.

I think this is why DesertFox4 saw the results he did in his observations.

Interesting reading.

It all makes sense and I can understand the logic about no increase in cruise speed. It's amazing how many people assume that a clipped wing makes a 10+kt speed difference though.
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

When the Speedster was introduced, it had a 140 mph VNE vs the 125 mph VNE of the long wing. Virtually every report on the different VNEs referred to the thicker windsheild on the Speedster. .125 or .093 vs. the standard .062.
    Lowell

Heavier wing loading also means higher maneuvering speed.

I built my fox with long and short extensions. I did not try my short for several years. My base was 4750 feet altitude. I only switched back to stay with my buddy that was flying a model 1-3. (hi Steve) I love the way it handles, no float on landing, higher speeds, with a trade off of climb rate. The rate never did bother me, well much. I could had to put a drag on Steve's airplane to climb with him while flying as a flight of two. It has been into mile high fully loaded short wing.
    John

OK, here I go. I had the long wing on my 4 for about 300 hrs. I shortened the wings after that and put the ribs in the horizontal in the back along with electric trim in the elevator. Wow! is all I could say. I have a nice airplane now. I know the speedster is suppose to have no dihedral, mine does. I love my plane. It now has a good role rate, I love that. I seemed to have better control in turbulance. ground effect seemed much better for landing. I still had the same take off distance. I always had lift off at a certain point on the runway, this did not change with the short wing. The plane looked better. wings fit the fuse look. I installed vg's about 6 months later and that did a bunch for the airplane, it tracked on turns better, before it did skids on turns. how did I know, on turns it quit pushing air in through the door cracks.

I am a frequent flyer. I don't just go from point a to b. I play and play hard. If you were to come to my area and fly with me, I think you would crap out and say no way. I do things that most people would go green on. I know the kitfox very well and know what it can do.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 06-13-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Hey Slyfox;

I was wondering, you stated that you put the ribs in the horizontal, what did that do for you from a flying perspective, compaired to before? Did it turn better or something, or just fly faster and look beter?

Thanks in advance
    Roger